Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on going to the track and testing out my car. As you may or may not know, its a 5 speed GXE. I want, if possible, a dyno pic where it shows the power bands. I want to know when is the optimal time to shift.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It all depends on the driving time. The logic I use is...if I am going somewhere and I need to pick up speed fast, I will drag out to around 5500-6700. I heard that 6500 is the best place to shift without losing so much horsepower. However, if I am in town, I won't just let my engine be revving at 4000rpms while I wait another two minutes to get it up to 4500. I would shift at say...3500-4000. Of course...you do have an se-r right? I'm not sure what the rev limit is on a ga16...Bottom line: don't let your engine rev high for a long time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
well what is your redline? Just remember not to make your engine rev too high for too long. You might blow a gasket. Also, just remember what I said. Shift according to the driving conditions you are in.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
the rev limiter on the ga is around 6250. i experimented with different shift points the last time i was at the track. first run i shifted at 6000 and on the 2nd i shofted somewhere btwn 5500-5800. i ran a slower time when i shifted early. just my experience...can someone else back up or disprove this? i have the same question about shift points.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help so far. I want to see what this thing does completely stock to see what i need to improve on. I have some parts waiting in my garage for it but I want to know if i should be adding more top end, mid range, or low end power. I know i should add all 3 but sometimes some mods take away from other areas.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your first mod should be swapping your engine to an sr20. j/p! Seriously though, what mods do you have? I know the first place you should start is your breather mods, also known as your intake, headers, and exhaust. First get your intake, then your exhaust, then headers. Afterwords is sort of up to you. I would think new cams, pulleys. If I'm right, the headers and cams give more top end power, and your intake and exhaust give more mid-range. Pulleys are pretty much just going to make electrical easier for you. The A/C runs better, and without making your car run slower. A good bonus is the 5-6hp you will get from them too I suppose on average. Also don't forget to get a tune-up if you are going to start modding. Its a great place to start and my car ran much, much, MUCH better after I bought my Denso plugs, racing wires, and changed the distributor cap and rotor. This will make your car run a lot better. I'm not very knowledgeable on the advanced timing, but I heard it makes a world of a difference also. I could make a five page list (as I have) on the mods, but I'll stop here! I'm out of breath :eek: !

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a stock gxe, and after driving it, I believe that the best possiblt time is to shift between 5700-6300. If you let it get to high you'll lose your power, and too early.....you dont have enough.

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
rev limiter is at 6900
shift at around 6400-6500 revin higher wont give u any power.....unless u have jwt cams
also feel your car, you will see when u stop pullin and makin power

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ill back you up on that one James. Without hitting the rev limiter of course. But if you do ... Could that cause any adverse affects to any part of the motor?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get a tach then race. You dont wanna tap you rev limiter. You can just bark gears when you hear your engine screaming but that could be costly. Save up for the autometer tach with an absurd shift light that blinds you when you need to shift. That will tell you when.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
200'side said:
Ill back you up on that one James. Without hitting the rev limiter of course. But if you do ... Could that cause any adverse affects to any part of the motor?
I'd say yes. The fuel cuts off at the rev limit so the engine leans out right away. But once or twice you shouldn't have a problem, that depends on the condition and maintenance of your engine tho.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Engine is in great condition and runs oh so smoothly. Now especially with the ECM and rev limiter gone. But I had the timing down pretty good so I didnt hit my limiter but there were those times. Matter of fact sometimes it seemed when I actually shifted I shifted passed the redline without hitting my rev limiter. I thought I broke it or something. My friends made fun of me ... oh well, its not even there anymore.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
200'side said:
Engine is in great condition and runs oh so smoothly. Now especially with the ECM and rev limiter gone. But I had the timing down pretty good so I didnt hit my limiter but there were those times. Matter of fact sometimes it seemed when I actually shifted I shifted passed the redline without hitting my rev limiter. I thought I broke it or something. My friends made fun of me ... oh well, its not even there anymore.
ECM gone? Well I'm assuming you did the ecu upgrade then you can go past the factory rev limiter (6900) to (7300) which JWT sets as the limit. That's the only way you'd break 6900.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts