Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I don't seem to see many 17s on b13s. Is it safe to put 17s on + suspension (droping a couple inches {ajustable}) without the wheels hitting the wheel wells?
Otherwise I'll just go with 16s.

·
Registered
547 Posts
A little info.

Alright, I'll go ahead and give you all the information you'll need to know because I'm in a good mood today. Otherwise I would've told you to search. How nice of me :D. So anyways, I've got 17's on my car. I have adjustable coilovers and dropped almost 2". Maybe 1.7 or so. Anyways, if you get the correct offset on the wheels, you won't have to go through all the trouble I went threw. Here's just some of the things I had to fix:

Longer Studs which led to spacers.
Tuner lug nuts (Would've gotten anyways), BTW, get wheel locks!!
Cutting about 1/2" off of fender lip. You'll know why if you get 17's!
Over the weekend I also went ahead and chopped off the biggest chunk of my Strut that I could. The piece that sticks out toward the wheel, it was rubbing on that a bit too.

Depending on your suspension and how long it's been on there, I'd definately get new struts and coilovers if you say you are. The GC/KYB is the best you can go without spending a bangload, even though it's pretty expensive as well. I know for a fact that I had to fix about 2 times as many problems but they aren't that bad. Keep your hubbies! I'm about to put mine back on for winter. I'll post pics of my ride tomorrow since I'm going to my dad's and he's got a digi-cam. Only a couple of us have 17's, but I like mine. They don't weigh much so no performance was hendered. Yet some 17's are heavy and take performance out. If I forgot something, please add it in. Or I'll remember by tomorrow when I post pics. Hope this helps. But yeah, search here and SR20deforum.com if I didn't answer some of your other questions. Or just PM me.

·
**best avatar award**
2,596 Posts
most likely you won't have to do any extra modifying. i've got 17's and a 2.5" drop on my car and the only thing that i did was roll the fenders. the water guard and fender wells did rub a little bit at first but it's all plastic and won't hurt your tires. infact, on mine, the fender wells just wore down (or fell off). so i'd go ahead and get the 17's, they're way better then 16's IMO. and unless there is EXCESSIVE rubbing then go ahead and modify otherwise, just let the plastic rub away and leave it on the street somewhere. :D :D :D

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
the water guard and fender wells did rub a little bit at first but it's all plastic and won't hurt your tires. infact, on mine, the fender wells just wore down (or fell off). so i'd go ahead and get the 17's, they're way better then 16's IMO. and unless there is EXCESSIVE rubbing then go ahead and modify otherwise, just let the plastic rub away and leave it on the street somewhere.
Not a bright idea, especially if you've got a CAI. I plan to get 16's so I can have a nice ride, have plenty of room for my AD22VF brake upgrade, they look and fit nice, and I can maintain a stock overall diameter. Use this tire size calculator. Put in your stock tires size and then see what the biggest tire size you can run and maintain a stock diameter, this will keep your speedo accurate. http://www.trunkmonkeyracing.com/index.php?Article=53

·
**best avatar award**
2,596 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Not a bright idea, especially if you've got a CAI.
VERY TRUE, about if you have a CAI. but if you don't then you don't have to worry about the parts that will wear down. i havn't had any problems with water getting into the turn signals or head lights like you normally would if you were to remove the entire fender well.

i suppose that if you were really worried about throwing off your gear ratios or not being able to tell EXACTLY what speed you're going then go with 16's. in that case you'll want a rim/tire that is closer to the stock size. but, then again, 17's don't hurt your ratios enough to worry about and your speedometer isn't really that accurate anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts