Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just replaced both struts and coil assemblies and repacked the inner and outer wheel bearings, but I still have play in my wheels at 3 & 9 and 12 & 6. I can also feel the slightest bit of vibration when driving, especially around turns.

I feel like this indicates a bearing problem, but before I go pull all that back out and redo it, I'm hoping to get some insight into where I could've gone wrong and/or what to do differently. Here are the deets:
  • 2001 4WD Pathfinder LE
  • Repacked the outer bearings and replaced the inner bearings
  • Outer bearings had very slight indication of wear with minimal pitting just on outer edge, but all rollers moved freely after thorough cleaning
  • I did have a hard time seating the races all the way in and wonder if this could be the problem - maybe I didn't get them all the way in?
  • When placing the outer bearing in the race once the rotor/hub was back on the spindle, it was a tight fit. I had to tap them in with a socket extension covered by a paper towel to protect the metal surface of the bearing. All videos I watched didn't show this to be necessary - bearings just slid in. I wonder if this could be the problem. The bearing seated perfectly in the race when I tested it and the rotor/hub was not on the vehicle, but cause issue only once on the spindle.
  • I did follow spec and torqued the axle nut on to 60ft-lbs, then backed it back out. Spec indicated to give it a final torque at 13in-lbs, but I don't have an in-lb wrench, so I just did it hand tight.
  • I've not gotten it realigned yet, because I'm going to have to take it back apart anyway, it looks like
Any ideas or tips for me?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,219 Posts
I just replaced both struts and coil assemblies and repacked the inner and outer wheel bearings, but I still have play in my wheels at 3 & 9 and 12 & 6. I can also feel the slightest bit of vibration when driving, especially around turns.

I feel like this indicates a bearing problem, but before I go pull all that back out and redo it, I'm hoping to get some insight into where I could've gone wrong and/or what to do differently. Here are the deets:
  • 2001 4WD Pathfinder LE
  • Repacked the outer bearings and replaced the inner bearings
  • Outer bearings had very slight indication of wear with minimal pitting just on outer edge, but all rollers moved freely after thorough cleaning
  • I did have a hard time seating the races all the way in and wonder if this could be the problem - maybe I didn't get them all the way in?
  • When placing the outer bearing in the race once the rotor/hub was back on the spindle, it was a tight fit. I had to tap them in with a socket extension covered by a paper towel to protect the metal surface of the bearing. All videos I watched didn't show this to be necessary - bearings just slid in. I wonder if this could be the problem. The bearing seatedtaping perfectly in the race when I tested it and the rotor/hub was not on the vehicle, but cause issue only once on the spindle.
  • I did follow spec and torqued the axle nut on to 60ft-lbs, then backed it back out. Spec indicated to give it a final torque at 13in-lbs, but I don't have an in-lb wrench, so I just did it hand tight.
  • I've not gotten it realigned yet, because I'm going to have to take it back apart anyway, it looks like
Any ideas or tips for me?
When installing the races into the hub, it's best to use a hydraulic press. This insures that the races are firmly seated. Tapping them in with a socket or a cold chisel like tool is not the approved way. The race probably was not firmly seated with maybe 1/2 mm space; then while driving, the force of turning left or right caused the race to move resulting in play.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,917 Posts
I've always run into problems using the factory torque procedure. When this happens to me, I'll jack up that wheel, remove the hub while leaving the wheel on, and then slowly tighten the wheel bearing lock nut until the play is gone and then reassemble.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,238 Posts
One car I had said to tighten till there was a specified drag, measured with a spring scale on a wrench or lever of certain length I think, then back off a certain amount. This was years ago so cant remember specifics or car. But seems like what you sugested would work well.

So tighten till significant drag, back off till drag nearly gone but more than free running with no play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts