• Home Depot

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Wal-Mart

Votes: 3 10.3%
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Home Repot for sure. They open early and i usually can in all oil and dirty and no one thinks its weird. Love that home repot. :cool:

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
home depot is one of the greatest stores ever......i have more stuff on my car from home depot than any where else lol.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I have mostly Craftsman hand tools and mechanics tools, because they're decent and they have the lifetime warranty. I also get a lot of tools at Harbor Freight, you just have to know what you're buying. I get the warranty on the stuff that costs enough. I bought my pancake compressor, brad nailer, framing nailer and gear reduction drill there. Got the warranties on all of them and wrote the expiration dates on them with permanent marker so I can be sure to take them in for an exchange beforehand if they start acting up. IR makes a lot of junk and does a lot of private labeling, so you have to watch what you buy. I also get stuff on eBay. I bought some nice unibits, jigsaw and sawzall blades there dirt cheap. If you know what you're buying and what typical prices are, you can easily shop around and find the best deals. If you don't use a tool often or haven't used the tool that much previously, ask someone who has, hopefully they'll steer you in the right direction as to what brands are worth a damn. I used to abhore Harbor Freight until I started looking past the crap and seeing the decent stuff that was priced cheap. I've probably spent $1K there in the past year.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rob is right on this one. If you know what to look for in tools, you can find some decent tools for a good price at Harbor Freight. Yes, alot of what they sell is completel shit, but they do have some good buys.

I use a combination of Sears, Home depot, HF, Ebay, and Mcmaster Carr for tools. Sears for the main tools- rachets (Thin profile one's are the best), sockets, and screwdrivers, as they are all easily replaced if broken. I use HD Husky brand torque wrenches, as they are very reasonably prices, and have a lifetime warranty (Unlike Sears 1 year). At HF, I have bought some a 12ton press, ball joint press kit, transmission jack adapter, air hose reals, and a vise. All those have performed great with no problems to date.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Well, I prefer Sears and Craftsman tools b/c they have a good name. Unfortunately, the closest sears I'm aware of is in West Orlando which happens to be about 45 minutes from East Orlando thanks to our wonderful transportation system and high volume of traffic.

Pretty much Home Depot and Walmart tools are crap as far as I'm concerned, I can never find the tool I want there, I never see any good brands of hand tools, I only would go if I needed a dremel bit or something. So my only other option is Lowes. I like the Kobalt tools and accessories, I found the warranty to be as good as their word when I broke a socket recently and they're fairly close.

The only time I go to sears is if I need to get something I would only trust the craftsman name to, such as power tools, air tools, and torque wrenches.

Anyway, In my perfect garage, all my hand tools would prolly be Kobalt and all my power/air tools would be Craftsman.

·
Gotta Represent
403 Posts
i go to the dollar store just around the corner from my house, the tools are "good" quality, but need to be replaced everynow and then. but a sixteen piece wrench set, for a dollar is pretty good, you cant beat that!!!

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
b14sleeper said:
i go to the dollar store just around the corner from my house, the tools are "good" quality, but need to be replaced everynow and then. but a sixteen piece wrench set, for a dollar is pretty good, you cant beat that!!!
you obviously arent putting 4ft peices of pipe on the end of those wrenches for more TQ are ya lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Harbor frieght is cheap, their tools are kinda shitty. If you dont use them everyday they are ok, but if you are a tech, mac and snap on all the way. Their stuff might be pricy but you get what you pay for, and you are going to have a set of tools for 30+ years. Oh 1 more thing IR's are the best air tools.
-Ben

21 - 29 of 29 Posts