Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I asked this a few times before but no one really knew. After some thinking I came up with some possible situations. Tell me what you guys think.

Ok, about a year ago, when I was still new at this car stuff, I went to a local Nissan Performance shop to advance my timing to 15*. When I went I had a full tank of premium gas to be safe. After a few minutes of work, the guy said it was now at 15* and yes, there was a power difference. a few months of driving it I didn't notice any change, but with the gas prices rising (b/c of 9/11) I started using lower grades of fuel. eventually, I tried regular grade (hesitant at first) and driving it around, I got no pinging at all. I thought this was strange being at 15* so I went out and bought myself a timing light (I had more experience now) as I pointed it down to the pulley, it read out 7-8*!!!

7-8*!!! what the heck!!!!! so I got out my wrench and advanced the distributer cap a little...still 7-8*. Turned it more...the same thing. Eventually I got as far as it would go and still no change (no pinging either). So now I can't advance my timing....

BTW, when I retard the timing, all I get is a strange drop in the power band between 5 and 6,000rpms. and it is a big drop, I feel like there's no acceleration in that area of rpms.

So anyway, now I'm driving around with my distributer as far forward as it will go and I sit at 8*. Is there anyone that can tell me howw to make my timing go back up to 15* again? My guess is it's the ECU. as far as I can tell every time I try to advance my timing, the ECU counter acts it with a timing decrease. Could I have a bad knock sensor?

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I know about that, but when the gas prices went up I figured I would experiment with a lower grade. I figured I'd go until I got pinging. Guess that was a bad idea.

Well, that actually sounds pretty cool, whenever I wanna race I just put in some octane booster and voila, an extra 5 or 6 hp. LOL

thanks I'll try upgrading next time I fill my tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts