Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i dont think my throttle is stuck open, i just went to my car and unplugged the tps. then put it in and made sure the screw was all the way to the right, the car started and idles at 2,000 this time. i checked to make sure my maf plug was all the way in and the second i touched it, it revved up to 4,000 rpm and stayed there so i stopped what i was doing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Is the CEL on? If it is, pull the code. Either way, suspect the MAF or the MAF wires, since something changed when you touched it. Try unplugging the MAF. You may also have a massive vacuum leak.

Pull the intake hose to check for a stuck throttle. My friend's Fiero had a chunk of steel wedged in the throttle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm I am having some trouble controling my idle to? I have the screw all the way out and it is still higher than I would like it to be?? What could be causing this?? Sorry didn't mean to steal your thread...

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
i dont think my throttle is stuck open, i just went to my car and unplugged the tps. then put it in and made sure the screw was all the way to the right, the car started and idles at 2,000 this time. i checked to make sure my maf plug was all the way in and the second i touched it, it revved up to 4,000 rpm and stayed there so i stopped what i was doing.
Umm... your MAF doesn't control idle. That is why, even with the MAF completely unplugged, your car will start and idle fine. If it was your MAF, your engine wouldn't even reach 4000 rpms, it would hit a barrier close to 3000 rpms and sound horrible. Most likely, it is your IACV. When mine went out, my car would randomly idle up to around 2000 rpms and hang there. Perhaps your's is really dead, hence why it hits 4000 rpms.

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm... your MAF doesn't control idle. That is why, even with the MAF completely unplugged, your car will start and idle fine. If it was your MAF, your engine wouldn't even reach 4000 rpms, it would hit a barrier close to 3000 rpms and sound horrible. Most likely, it is your IACV. When mine went out, my car would randomly idle up to around 2000 rpms and hang there. Perhaps your's is really dead, hence why it hits 4000 rpms.
thanks biscuit i will take that into consideration.
also i think i blew a header gasket check it out guys,

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
there won't be any liquid from the header gasket... a header/exhaust manifold gasket is to keep it from welding to the block.

a blown head gasket would show up south of the exhaust manifold, not north, as oil and coolant should be burned up if they're leaking into the cylinder. you'll still get shit from them, but it'll be solid. do a compression/leak down test. but that looks more like you're leaking out the valve cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts