Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice that on some Hardbody trucks ( 4 cylinder only) the air intake is either a straight tube going to the inner fender well and on others there is a huge box in that same spot?

Any ideas as to why? Does it make a difference if its 4wd or 2wd? Federal emissions or CA emissions ( remember there are several states that conform to the same CA emission standards so keep that in mind)

Im not sure when the straight tube came into play... I have most of my experience with 1997 models.

Noise issues? Water protection? What the hill of bean is in that box anyway and does it restrict airflow?

Im open and all ears!:givebeer:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pretty sure its all for noise and water protection, 4wd's and all.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
that box is a resonator, most newer vehicles have them, keeps the noise down and I am sure has something to do with emission bs too.. and of course restricts air flow.. you can pull it out and run a straight tube like a cold air (just make sure you keep the filter) I have a 86.5, no resonator, just a straight tube to the fender...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I retract my prev statement, saw one on a 95 hb 2wd...

maybe its determined by the state its sold in.

My truck thru carfax was sold in Utah.

·
Registered
706 Posts
its straight threw, I would look in to replacing that with something a little more durable
It's Grade A durable as hell been in there for 6 yrs right above my headers. It's an avaition air duct hose we used them on oil coolers, air conditioning, vents, brake cooling...it's got a very resistance poly fiber material which is good for 500* plus temps and it won't collapse nor explode due to the thick spiral reinforced wire. Anyway my airlet is directly above the headlight! Nice cool air!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ram Air!!! good for at least 0.0000067 hp increase!
Never measured it...But I was tired of sucking thru that soda pop straw of an intake. It seems to rev faster, pull harder, ping less and it's set @ 15* btdc and has seen 20* btdc with pinging as well. Estimated power increase 6 whp.

·
Registered
160 Posts
From the tube, or the timing? No way from the tube... FAR too much other chokes on the Z24i

·
Registered
706 Posts
From the tube, or the timing? No way from the tube... FAR too much other chokes on the Z24i
Actually the gas, when I first purchased the truck back in 1988, during highway cruisin you could hear a slight amount of rattling/pinging so I up'd the octane to 89 and then 93 and I was good. I've can run 89 with no pinging now but most of the time I'll burn 93 for the extra get up and go. I've got the cam timing set to 3* btdc, with an aftermarket cam, shaved head, those headers, and the ignition timing set @ 15-20* btdc and no pinging!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts