Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 SE-R, automatic (slush box) and if I'm lucky I get a little over 200 miles on a tank of gas. Anyone else having this problem? Also does anyone else know of ways, other than driving like my grandmother, how to increase my MPG? Or if you know of any aftermarket parts that will help increase my MPG??
Thanks

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
pretty common for the auto SER unfortunately. Just take it easy, don't have a lead foot.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
A CAI will help mileage, as will synthethic oil, a run of a good fuel system cleaner and running Top Tier gas. I prefer Chevron, but Shell V Power isnt bad either. The car will get significantly better mileage and power with premium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bror Jace said:
It's not a fair comparison but after 30,000 miles, I've gotten an average of 28.8 mpg with my 6-speed.
Wow. I average around 20MPG on my SE-R. The max I've had since I've owned it was 22MPG. That's mostly stop and go though, with a tiny bit of freeway mixed in there.

As for the automatics, I always thought they had better gas mileage then manuals?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
Kreeper said:
As for the automatics, I always thought they had better gas mileage then manuals?

negative, it's never been that way ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im looking more at 24 MPH and i ride the highway alot (i hate having to use the highest octane), if you take that engine over 3k it really loves to act more like my moms Burban than a sentra :p i really need to finishing painting my bike $6 for a full tank of gas....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bror Jace said:
Dude, if you are mostly at 24mph, you should have gotten a car other than a SpecV. ;)
my bad i meant to say MPG was tired as hell i feel like a :loser: right about now

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
no it isnt...but how do you drive, what brand gas do you use and what octane??

·
Registered
941 Posts
D-SpecV, start tracking your mileage carefully (divide the miles driven by the exact gas consumed and record each tankful) and see if you see a positive trend as you continue to own the car.

Mileage is a little down for the first several thousand miles but it should never dip below 20mpg without there being a specific reason for it.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
NickZac said:
no it isnt...but how do you drive, what brand gas do you use and what octane??
also is it an auto or manny?

·
Registered
941 Posts
"Also, is it an auto or manny?"

Yes, I'd say that manual transmissions give you an extra 10-15% better mileage in the same vehicle, with the same driver.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Remember that the Spec V only comes in the 6 Speed :)
It is the SE-R that comes in the 4 Speed auto and used to in the 5 Speed manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a manual, i guess you could say i like speed, and the rpm's. I just thought that even if driven hard it would get better mpg then my last car, mustang GT, thats why i got it.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Newer cars use more gas and your octane usage and gas usage will make a night and day difference. You should be using 93 octane, and I would not use anything less than a Top Tier gasoline.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
NickZac said:
Remember that the Spec V only comes in the 6 Speed :)
It is the SE-R that comes in the 4 Speed auto and used to in the 5 Speed manual.
woops, this tread started out as an SE-R thread, so thats my bad.

and also when I first got my spec I have a bit of fun with it...just cuz I was used to driving a 100whp auto (maybe not even 100whp) so I had to have some fun. Now its just evey now and again having some fun, otherwise shifting like any other normal daily driver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts