Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the condition of my 5th gear. On occasion, when I shift into 5th, it will chatter and not accelerate for a second or two. Now, it happens the most when I shift into 5th and then hit the gas. After my foot hits the pedal is when it chatters. Since I only hit the gas in 5th on the highway, that's where I get the problem. No grinding, just like it's trying to catch. The clutch is new, and the rear main seal is new and better NOT be leaking. None of the other gears seem to do this. Car has 130k on it. I've seen others on this board that have problems with 5th gear and I'm wondering if they might be able to help. Thanks!
 

·
wont go any faster?
Joined
·
475 Posts
Kindfiend said:
I'm curious about the condition of my 5th gear. On occasion, when I shift into 5th, it will chatter and not accelerate for a second or two. Now, it happens the most when I shift into 5th and then hit the gas. After my foot hits the pedal is when it chatters. Since I only hit the gas in 5th on the highway, that's where I get the problem. No grinding, just like it's trying to catch. The clutch is new, and the rear main seal is new and better NOT be leaking. None of the other gears seem to do this. Car has 130k on it. I've seen others on this board that have problems with 5th gear and I'm wondering if they might be able to help. Thanks!
does it actualy go into 5th or does it kinda kick out and grind. if it kicks outs and grinds you have to get another 5th gear. thats a horrible job, but any 16yo can do it, i did it to mine, 350$ from dealership for a new 5th gear hope it isnt that bad for you tho
 

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skoodles said:
does it actualy go into 5th or does it kinda kick out and grind. if it kicks outs and grinds you have to get another 5th gear. thats a horrible job, but any 16yo can do it, i did it to mine, 350$ from dealership for a new 5th gear hope it isnt that bad for you tho
Nah, it goes into 5th, with no grinding. I was just wondering if I'm witnessing the slow death of 5th, or if there's something else going on. I will switch to Motul gear oil when it gets here. Since I didn't have time to do the clutch myself, I took it to a shop. So they probably put some crap in the tranny and I want it out since the car doesn't shift smooth, especially when cold.
 

·
nissan??? whats that
Joined
·
280 Posts
noob long shot here but timing chain guides rubbing? or something... happened to my friends b14 in 3rd gear a while back he replaced chain tensioners and guides the whole shabang and all noise stopped
 

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slow200 said:
noob long shot here but timing chain guides rubbing? or something... happened to my friends b14 in 3rd gear a while back he replaced chain tensioners and guides the whole shabang and all noise stopped
Pretty good possibility if I hadn't just done the chains and tensioners about 6 months ago. Yeah, they were shot, grooves cut pretty deep. Car ran much better after I changed them. I'm not certain it's just 5th gear, since I felt it do the same thing going into 4th the other day. Again, it was at highway speeds. Like the engine just stumbles. Thanks for the suggestions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
synchros probaly going out same thing happened in my girlfriends 1992 nx now she has no fifth gear sorry for the bad news
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
check your cv joints. If the boots are ripped/have been ripped, they may be out of alignment causing a vibration only at the speed that you can reach in 4th or 5th gear. My POS S10 just had this problem, albeit with a u-joint.
 

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SoCalB14 said:
check your cv joints. If the boots are ripped/have been ripped, they may be out of alignment causing a vibration only at the speed that you can reach in 4th or 5th gear. My POS S10 just had this problem, albeit with a u-joint.
Nah, both axles were replaced. I think the guy that wrote before may be right, the syncro's may be on their way out. The car is sometimes difficult to shift, mainly when it's cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Kindfiend said:
Nah, both axles were replaced. I think the guy that wrote before may be right, the syncro's may be on their way out. The car is sometimes difficult to shift, mainly when it's cold.
Yeah mine was hard to shift when it was cold but i found out my mechanic when he replaced my halfshaft he put in 80-90W not 75-90W. I replaced it with synthetic Mobil 1 75-90W and i never had the problem again even in sub-Zero temps.
 

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the_new_kid said:
Yeah mine was hard to shift when it was cold but i found out my mechanic when he replaced my halfshaft he put in 80-90W not 75-90W. I replaced it with synthetic Mobil 1 75-90W and i never had the problem again even in sub-Zero temps.
I just changed the fluid with some Motul I had left over and Mobil 1 75-90W. I can't believe the difference! It shifts like butter now! I'm curious to know what kind of oil the shop I took it to used. Whatever it was, it sucked. Hopefully, there's no permanent damage to the syncros... Thanks for the ideas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Just FYI our tranny's require GL-4 gear lube, Mobile 75-90 is GL-5...and eats syncros.
 

·
absolutely classic
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SENTRASER said:
Just FYI our tranny's require GL-4 gear lube, Mobile 75-90 is GL-5...and eats syncros.
Damn, I didn't even notice it was GL-5. For some reason I thought that GL-3 was the one that ate syncros. Hmmm... I hate to do things twice, but it looks like I'll just order up another batch of Motul. My friend had some left over from his change so I just used that before. The trans seems to have no problem with this combination of oil YET. But I can't justify doing damage to my car for something as cheap as oil. Thanks for the heads up!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top