Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just joined and I have an old question. We have a 2005 Xtrail SE, automatic and are in the market for a camper trailer. What we have in mind is near the max of the towing limit (2000 lbs). This tent trailer has electric brakes. I read alot of the posts on this and I realize across the pond they are double of what we are. I'm just curious if someone in Canada is towing similar weights, close to 2000lbs, and what there experiences are. I plan on installing a tranny cooler this week, I don't think this increases towing capacity, maybe it does, but it will keep temps in check. I've seen alot of 4 banger cars towing tent trailers and I know they are towing over there max, hopefully the X is over designed and under rated!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Is your x-trail gas or diesel? Stanadard or automatic? What class of hitch are you using?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We bought our trailer!! 1953lbs of dry weight, 155lbs at the hitch, pop up tent trailer! Picked it up Friday afternoon after getting a hitch installed and drove directly to the campground. A short trip at first, probably only about 30 km's. I definetly know I'm towing something, and it takes me a little longer to get up tp speed, but other than that the X-trail tows with little effort. Maintained speed going up a moderate incline, maybe a 5km drop, but I did not try to force the downshift to increase rpm either. I'm looking forward to other weekend getaways close to home for now, while I get used to towing. More than likely I will price up a tranny cooler. Anyone here have one installed? Brand? Price? Where at?

Terry

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find my cruise control likes towing! yeah it takes a little longer to speed up but when cruising its simple and nice...even in 6th.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just finished a 2000 mile holiday trip with the caravan, only problem was up a steep ish hill cruise found it hard to maintain speed in 6th, was told by some one that its better to tow in 5th due to the torgue on the gearbox ??? any ideas??? also had a blowout on the caravan ay 60 mph and the truck held it solid so loved my truck even more...managed about 31 mpg as well....

·
Registered
172 Posts
We bought our trailer!! 1953lbs of dry weight, 155lbs at the hitch, pop up tent trailer! Picked it up Friday afternoon after getting a hitch installed and drove directly to the campground. A short trip at first, probably only about 30 km's. I definetly know I'm towing something, and it takes me a little longer to get up tp speed, but other than that the X-trail tows with little effort. Maintained speed going up a moderate incline, maybe a 5km drop, but I did not try to force the downshift to increase rpm either. I'm looking forward to other weekend getaways close to home for now, while I get used to towing. More than likely I will price up a tranny cooler. Anyone here have one installed? Brand? Price? Where at?

Terry
Congrats on the new trailer! Both times that I've towed a trailer around the same weight as yours, a rear wheel bearing has taken a dump on my XT a day or two later. Related? I think so (others including dealer say it is not related).
I've had 3 rear wheel bearings replaced on my XT so far. However, that has been the only problem I've encountered in 162,000km. Poor design I guess.
:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problems with rear wheel bearings so far, did replace a front one at roughly 5 K. I think I'm almost ready for another brake job on the rear though. This will be the third one in total. 1st time was the rear at 43K 2nd was front at 79K and now 3rd again at 90K. Has anyone changed to aftermarket pads and rotors instead of OEM?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Towing in 5th makes sense, your probably keeping your RPM closer to your maximum torque. Sounds like you had a great trip, except for the tire blow out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts