Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this should be in the turbo section or not so please feel free to chuck it whereever!

But what do people think the weak link in the GA16DE is??? I've sorted out my second engine for rebuild and for the turbo project. I know everyone tends to build them on stock internals but if something is going to go, what do people think it's going to be.

I was reading wes's website/write up op NPN website and he's looking at 300whp...surely the 1.6 bottom can't take that abuse???

Not sure i'd ever get up to those figures but this is more out of interest rather than being able to do anything about it i reckon...

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Lurch said:
Not sure if this should be in the turbo section or not so please feel free to chuck it whereever!

But what do people think the weak link in the GA16DE is??? I've sorted out my second engine for rebuild and for the turbo project. I know everyone tends to build them on stock internals but if something is going to go, what do people think it's going to be.

I was reading wes's website/write up op NPN website and he's looking at 300whp...surely the 1.6 bottom can't take that abuse???

Not sure i'd ever get up to those figures but this is more out of interest rather than being able to do anything about it i reckon...
This is what I think. The head gasket is the first thing to go. #3 will unseat and leak water, I have not had this issue with Nissan's latest gasket design as it differes from the previous head gasket material.

Next connecting rod bolts were said to be on the small side and they also don't take very much torque for install. Granted no one has had a failure on these parts it is information passed along by Bob Legere in aprevious GA16 build.

Other than that it is pretty stout, most people I feel have been limited more by fuel and MAF setup which is what prompted the change for us in NPM. In May we will document the change over....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wes said:
This is what I think. The head gasket is the first thing to go. #3 will unseat and leak water, I have not had this issue with Nissan's latest gasket design as it differes from the previous head gasket material.

Next connecting rod bolts were said to be on the small side and they also don't take very much torque for install. Granted no one has had a failure on these parts it is information passed along by Bob Legere in aprevious GA16 build.

Other than that it is pretty stout, most people I feel have been limited more by fuel and MAF setup which is what prompted the change for us in NPM. In May we will document the change over....
looking forward to hearing how it goes as well mate! Wonder if they've updated Euro spec head gaskets as well... :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts