Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think this is the place I need to be for help with my problem. So here it goes.............I have a 1987 Nissan Sentra Coupe. It is fuel injection. I bought the car about 8 years ago and drove it for a couple. I bought a new car and slowly over time the car was neglected and left sitting. (Dumb move I think) So the car was sitting for about 3yrs. Recently I have decided that I want to keep her and get her running again. So unbelievably, I got it started. Of course the battery was bad and so I replaced it. I drove her a little every day and sometimes she would just stall out. That's when my DUMBASS realized the gas was super old. I drained the tank, put in some new gas, changed the filter and kept on starting and driving her a little with the same cutting off problem. She would just cut off and I would wait a few minutes and she would start back up. Before I stopped driving it, I had a little work done on her because it was needed. Alternator, Distributor, and a new clutch. Now I can't get it to start at all. The engine turns over but it will just never fire up. I'm wondering what I should do? The distributor cap had some erosion on the contacts so tomorrow I'm gonna replace the cap and the plug wires, yet i'm suspicious that it might be a fuel pump problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should start with. I love the car and she only has 116,000 miles on her. I'm gonna keep her and try to fix her up, but I need some help...

Jon

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
The easiest way to check the fuel pump would be to put the key in the ignition and flip the switch to ON but not START. You should hear the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds and it primes the fuel lines, if not you pump may be KIA.

Just curious, did you check/change the oil and coolant? It almost sounds like you may have had friction expansion problems causing the engine to seize untill things cooled back down...

-Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I have changed the oil and changed the coolant. The starter will buzz as if it is working properly. The car will turnover but will not start. I'm wondering if some gunk from the old fuel is stuck in the line or maybe a electrical problem. Should i change the plug wires and distributor cap? There was a small amount of corrosion on the contacts but otherwise the cap and wires look ok. Really I'm just grasping at straws, I"m really not sure about what the problem is.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Yeah, make sure the fuel pump is still kicking. Also make sure you are getting spark. I'd give her a shot of starting fluid and see if she turns over. That way you'll know if that gas is getting in there or not. If the car sat outside for a year(s), I'd probably opt to change the fuel filter again and add some dry gas so if there is any moisture in there, it will help break it up. I remember when I changed a bad tank out on my pickup, I couldn't believe the crap in the bottom of the tank, and it was a daily driver. looked like orange Jello. :thumbup:

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
like i said to you in pm, also take a look at the ground wire that plugs on the distributor... sadly if its not connected right it will prevent the engine from firing (ecu needs that ground wire i guess)... make sure the connection is good at both ends.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would check all of the ground wires in the engine compartment. On my Brother in laws Pulsar a loose bolt for the grounding wires caused the fuel pump to only operate sporadickly. It can't hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts