Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I sold my 350z about a year ago when my mom replaced her 2002 V6 Maxima with a brand new Prius (lolz), and she gave me the maxima (I was in a little bit of a financial crunch, so I decided to downgrade till I'm richer).

Anyway, so now I have this v6 maxima. My mom was the sole owner, so it's obv in good condition and hasn't been drag raced or anything (my mom drove it the way you would expect the avg mom to drive a car (slowly)).

Anyway, it was advertised as having 255hp if I remember correctly from the factory, which is pretty good. But of course, I can't just leave it stock, I mean, come on now, this is a great situation to put together a bit of a sleeper here. It looks slower than a snail, since it is completely stock, even cosmetically speaking, doesn't even have sick rims or low profile tires, just your standard v6 2002 maxima. So I think it would be a lot of fun to at the very least try to get her up to 300 wheel horsepower.

Anyway, here is my question:

At what point would I need to start switching everything out (as in, needing to get new engine internals, new transmission, new axle new this new that) in order to keep things from breaking due to the car producing too much more horsepower than the parts were designed to handle from the engine's stock 255 horsepower?

Like, what is the most power I can make and still be safely lower than the minimum required to start breaking stuff that doesn't get upgraded?

Can I put on a small turbo and run fairly low boost, just making maybe an extra 60 or 70 horsepower without needing to get forged pistons and connecting rods and a new transmission and so forth?

Or if I went the nitrous route instead, could I get away with a 50 shot with everything bone stock other than getting the injectors and spark plus appropriate? What about a 75 shot? etc

I'm just trying to get a feel for what, in your experience (because I am pretty sure you guys have seen people in EXACTLY this situation before at some point or another, so you guys know from experience) I can get away with here without having to spend a zillion dollars replacing every moving part in the car so that it doesn't break when I punch the gas pedal.

Okay, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My best advice is to never do a turbo without forged internals...

Even if you can run at fairly low boost, you're going to completely wreck the tranny.

·