Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 200sx se-r is getting poor milage and it doesn't have the power on the low rpm. I guess it's fault of wrong timing.

Could you tell me what should be the correct timing for my se-r 2.0 ???

What also should I know when checking the timing??

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
Correct factory iginition timing should be 15* - 17* BTDC. Keep it at 17.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
What should you know? That setting timing isn't simple and there are instructions in the factory service manual and on this board and sr20forum.

As Harris said, once you've gotten into timing mode, set it at 17º BTDC unless you have a JWT ECU or run less than 87 octane fuel.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts your problem is O2 sensor.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
o2 sensor and possibly spark plug wires/tune up

·
Registered
413 Posts
Harris said:
Come on Harris, you haven't been outta the SR20 scene that long now have you?

Factory timing is actually 15* +/-2*

So as long as your timing is anywhere between 13-17 degrees, you should not be getting bad gas mileage. You have another issue. Bad gas mileage is usually the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no mechanic in the NYC that could tell me whats wrong with this poor millage.

I changed O2 sensor, cooling temp sens, knock sensor, plugs- wires- distributor, fuel & air filters, radiator and thermostat, and I checked ball bearing in wheels, tps, air mass flow, cat conv (they are fine) -- all that and nothing.
Today I went to the shop to set the correct timing and was little to advance but it wasn't that causing the problem.

The car doesn't take an oil and it has 94k milles. Because it burns so much fuel I decided to give it more air and the cold air intake made the car perform much better but still use the same amount of gas.

Dealer don't know sh*t either, they performed injectors cleaning and said that it's everything that can be done.

Have any comments ?????

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
have you done a compression check? that's the only thing i can think of.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
Tavel said:
have you done a compression check? that's the only thing i can think of.

thats the first thing that came to mind after reading his last post too

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
NismoPC said:

It's been a bit more than six months dude. Heck yea I've been out of it. That doesn't mean I'm sitting around doing nothing in my SR dungeon during my spare time. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris

Factory timing is actually 15* +/-2*

So as long as your timing is anywhere between 13-17 degrees, you should not be getting bad gas mileage. You have another issue. Bad gas mileage is usually the O2 sensor.

Actually under the hood it says 15 degrees btdc, it allows you +/- 3 degrees. If it said 15*+/-2 like the Hondas then your correct. Any vehicle that list only the degrees allow you +/- 3.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
If you haven't done a compression test, you might want to do that. Also, a leakdown test and a vacuum test might tell you if you have a leaky valve or something. The vacuum test is easy. You can buy the tool for way cheap, and you just hook it up to your intake manifold. Then you basically see if the vacuum is constant or not. (Its more complicated than that, but that is the basic idea.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts