Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres refrigerent hoses? coming off of it i think.

there seems to be a leak or something there was what i think oil and some hissing and some vapor? gas? coming out from the lines with the car off.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
ifoam said:
theres refrigerent hoses? coming off of it i think.

there seems to be a leak or something there was what i think oil and some hissing and some vapor? gas? coming out from the lines with the car off.
It is an AC related component, you should fix the leak as your AC will not work once all the refridgerant leaks out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i figured out the leak is in the line from the condenser to the dual pressure switch (that capacitor looking thing)

can those lines be replaced or am i looking at replacing the whole thing?

·
265k miles and counting..
2,656 Posts
ifoam said:
also, if there is no refregerant in the system, would the compressor still turn on?
The large, aluminum cylinder is the A/C filter/dryer/reciever (pick one) and the pressure switch screws into it. It may be a leaky O ring causing your problems which should be an easy fix. If you were to replace the dryer, the switch would not come with it, and so long as your compressor cycles, it is functioning. Also, if your coolnt goes too low, the switch does not allow the compressor clutch to kick on in order to save the compressor from running without oil. If you ever recharge your system, make sure to put an oil charge in it at the same time in order to keep from running the compressor dry. You can buy them as a mixed product for a few dollars more than a plain can of R-134a, so it's worth the investment. ( I just got a large can of refrigerant with oil , a hose and gauge for $23 at the parts store)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
himilefrontier said:
The large, aluminum cylinder is the A/C filter/dryer/reciever (pick one) and the pressure switch screws into it. It may be a leaky O ring causing your problems which should be an easy fix. If you were to replace the dryer, the switch would not come with it, and so long as your compressor cycles, it is functioning. Also, if your coolnt goes too low, the switch does not allow the compressor clutch to kick on in order to save the compressor from running without oil. If you ever recharge your system, make sure to put an oil charge in it at the same time in order to keep from running the compressor dry. You can buy them as a mixed product for a few dollars more than a plain can of R-134a, so it's worth the investment. ( I just got a large can of refrigerant with oil , a hose and gauge for $23 at the parts store)

i found the problem now!

one of the lines was rubbing against a metal piece of the frame and over time, cut a hole in the line.

a local mechanic quoted me 100 to take out the condeser take it to get repaired (plus repair fee of 20-40 dollars) put it in and refill system. i dont know if thats a good price. maybe ill take it to mexico. or ill buy a new condeser with new lines for 114. install it and have him refil it.

anyone changed a condeser before? is it hard? i see it bolted on with two lines. one to the compressor and one to the dual pressure switch/dryer. doesn't SEEM too hard

there is no freeon inside anymore so i dont have to worry about my eyes burning off :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts