Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read that i have to remove an engine mount. is that required or is there a way around it?

thanks a lot!

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
If you really plan on doing this yourself, I would go ahead and buy a haynes manual. That way if something comes up unexpected, you can deal with it. Plus there are always handy to have around, and at $13-15 its money well spent.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have never changed mine, but Alldata does not say anything about removing an engine mount for my 1.6. But Haynes says you need to remove the front engine mount if you have a SR20SE engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Catman said:
I have never changed mine, but Alldata does not say anything about removing an engine mount for my 1.6. But Haynes says you need to remove the front engine mount if you have a SR20SE engine.
i believe the haynes says you need to remove the fron engine mount if you have a ga16de.

i have the chilton and got copys of the haynes from the library for that section. i was hoping i could skip that step though.

to be honest, i dont know what they actually do. do they keep the engine up?

·
Registered
466 Posts
No, you don't have to remove the mount. The replacement of the pump if very straightforward, just a pain in the ass to get to all the bolts, as there is not a whole lot of room on front of the pump.

·
Registered
450 Posts
ifoam said:
i believe the haynes says you need to remove the fron engine mount if you have a ga16de.

i have the chilton and got copys of the haynes from the library for that section. i was hoping i could skip that step though.

to be honest, i dont know what they actually do. do they keep the engine up?
Actually, I read directly from Haynes, so unless they have a different version of Haynes, no mention of motor mount removal for the 1.6. Motor mounts support the motor. Without them you would get all kinds of vibration. Increased vibration at idle is a sign they are going bad.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm, well thats better for me!

thanks a bunch i will attempt this sunday! ill let you guys know how it turns out.

i need a digital camera to make photo journals on how to do these things

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i attempted this today, didnt go so well, i couldnt get the hoses off the thermostat housing to pull it out. so i just put it back together. i think im going to take it to a mechanic. what do you guys think ill get charged for this procedure?

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I'm guessing he's talking about the upper hose from the radiator which leads to the thermostat housing... the one just above the alternator. Did you try a twisting motion when you pulled on it ? Also try to pry the hose away from the housing with a flat screwdriver... don't stab the hose tho

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
What I was thinking as well. Id just cut it, then replace it. I usually replace the upper and lower hoses when im doing a water pump anyway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i changed the upper and lower hoses but on the water pump, it connects to the thermostat housing, that has maybe 4 hoses on it. they lead behind the engine, i cant see where they end but 1 or 2 go to the firewall, i cant get those out to take out the housing+water pump to replace the thermostat and water pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts