Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guy's I decided to just cut my loses and picked up what was supposed to be a 96 Sentra G16? Well the engine is identical to mine except that it has a catalytic converter right off of the exhaust manifold? Whats up with this? Mine on my 96 is under the car where I think they belong! That being said this engine is practically a baby with 42k on the od when wrecked! I also got the trans with it. The thing that I was not happy about was the fact that they told me that the EPA mandates that if a scrap yard is selling engines and transmissions that they must drain the fluids??? Is this true? Also is the trany going to be any good any more if the fluid was drained?? I have 90 days warranty on them and the Bone yard Manager assured me that it will be fine and they always do this procedure to prevent spills. I don't know about you guy's but I would rather it have had fluids in both the engine and trans especially the trany! Anyone have there converter up front of the engine? If so what year is it??

·
Block Rockin Beats
117 Posts
Both the engine and transmission can be drained and refilled of their oil/fluid and be refilled with no problem. There is such thing as a transmission flush.

Also, if the cat is welded onto the exhaust manifold, not only is that the most insane and useless mod I've ever heard of, but uhm, buy yourself some headers and be done with it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fleck I have been turning wrenches for a very long time and I think you are missing my drift completely. Let me try again. When you look at the front of the engine there is a (Factory Steel Heat Schield) this converter is not a mod this is a FACTORY piece. I think it is a from a 98 but I am not possitive yet I a just going by pictures in the manuals. As far as draining the fluids of course they can be drained,I think I should get a little more credit than that bud. What I am getting at there is I think the engine and trany have been sitting empty for who know's how long since it was pulled from the wreck?? What I am worried about is the automatic trans sitting there with open cooler lines (condensation). Anyway anyone know if the computers are all the same from 95 through 98?? This guy is telling me yeas??

·
Registered
485 Posts
MOre than likely it is a Cali spec engine. WHich means usually u have a pre-cat. Right after the manifold. Just remove the cat or buy a header. As for the fluid it is true they cant sell with fluid in. It all depends on how they stored the items after draining. Prob fine. if not thats what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm now this makes a little more sence to me,ya it figures I have to get the California weezer,man I don't know how more restictive that this could be Lol! Two convertors?? I did not get to see the rest of the car unfortunetly. The sensors all look the same except the egr valve. Can that thing be ommited and plugged with out fouling up the computer?? I can always just use my original exhaust? But I would bet the converter is pretty uch plugged up at 200k though?? Hey do these cars pass emissions with a test pipe??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on guy's No one knows what the story with this cat in front of the engine directly off of the manifold? I can't understand what the thinking was here? This friggen thing must get the engine red hot??!! I'm thinking it should go but I will haver to change the egr system and this might be tough because the enginne with 200k will have unremovable hardware for sure? So wht should I do leave it and just add some pipe doewn stream? I don't want to have more check engine light issues because of the cat being changed? I think I like the other set up with the simple factory header to the cat then the muffler. Opinions welcome.....

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Come on guy's No one knows what the story with this cat in front of the engine directly off of the manifold? I can't understand what the thinking was here? This friggen thing must get the engine red hot??!! I'm thinking it should go but I will haver to change the egr system and this might be tough because the enginne with 200k will have unremovable hardware for sure? So wht should I do leave it and just add some pipe doewn stream? I don't want to have more check engine light issues because of the cat being changed? I think I like the other set up with the simple factory header to the cat then the muffler. Opinions welcome.....
iirc the cali version is the precat and it shouldnt mess with any EGR stuff for it should all bolt up

·
Registered
485 Posts
Your computer shoudlnt even know its there. I read a post about someone changing there ECU and getting a Cali spec one. Ended up throwing a light. He changed it out with a Fed ECU and it went away. Hell I would just block off the egr since its out now will make it easier to do. Search about removing the EGR if you wanna know the argument on removing it. Some say yes some say no. I personally am a remover. Old tech that no longer serves a use. As for the test pipe not sure. More than likely no.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So any clues on how to find the year? Is there away to look at the block and figure this out??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guy's I guess this means that none of you know what the story is on this little engine?? Soo I will just go ahead and toss it in,I just hope the the stupid electronics will all jive? I will say this I have changed many engines small block for big block and back and as long as the wiring (ignition was correct) everything was cool?? I guess we shall see??

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,220 Posts
My 97 has the Cat in the manifold design, Texas car new, not Cali.
this was done for faster warm up, and thus less emissions, and if you put headers on it you just move it to under the car, as said above where it should be.
so this engine is possibly 97 thro 99, i don't know if the 96's were like this as well.
It is my understanding that the engines are basically the same for the OBD II cars.

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
From 1995-1997 the second generation GA16DE was identical for all models with the exception of the California model. The California model had that horrific catalytic converter exhaust manifold starting in 1995, as where Federal emissions cars received them standard I believe in 1996. In 1998, the GA16DE went through a new wiring system and intake manifold design. In 1999, the last year of production, it kept the same wiring system but once again changed the intake manifold slightly (more emissions bs I assume). All you have to do to make this new engine work is: put on regular exhaust manifold, put on intake manifold (from original engine), and viola! It should fire right up no problem. I am currently running a '99 engine block with '95 manifolds, ECU, and harness in a 1990. Go figure. Just make sure you use new gaskets!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I's guessing the egr will need to be swapped to because it appears to be completely differant and hooks into the bogus converter? So I only need to get an exhaust manifold and intake manifold gasket right? Anything else? How about the cv joints are there any gaskest and or seals there? Hey I was thinking does the egr have to be intalled?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts