Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's the situation; my uncle replaced the timing belt on his 92 pathfinder less than 4 months ago and just recently the timing belt went again. I was able to remove mostly everything to see what the belt looks like and what I saw was mostly every teeth on the belt looks to have been shaven off. Pics will follow. I was just wondering if anyone might know or have a clue as what would have caused this. At the moment, the belt feels to be too tight and im thinking it is the tensioner to be at fault. Could someone confirm with me or lead me to any other possibilities? Also does anyone of any other method to finding out how to get cylinder 1 to TDC and get the cams to line up for putting on the new belt? The reason I ask is that there's a chance there are no markings to line up to. Thanks.

·
3,553 Posts
I would suspect that the belt was a bit too tight. Did it make a slight whining noise when it was running?

I think you got lucky! From what I hear running the t-belt too tight can actually break a cam sprocket off.

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
well, if the belt allowed the motor to jump time then you might have valve damage...VG30's are interference motors, so if it jumps time the pistons will slap valves, and that might have stopped a cam long enough to strip the belt...but that is just my theory.....i hope its not that severe....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for all the replys. It turns out, the belt was just on too tight. I put the new belt on, set the tension correctly and now is running perfect. Timing is perfect and runs strong. Just thought Id update everyone. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to solving more problems that are sure to come. lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts