Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of tires do you have on your X-Trail?

All seasons, summer specific, winter specific, knobby off roading, smooth tread car... etc??

I was thinking about this and wondering what other X-Trail'ers run on their Rigs.

I'm not sure what comes standard on the Canadian X-Trail, however I know they are an all seasons type of tire that probably leans toward the car/sedan type of tire, rather than a more aggressive cross type of tire that would be good for light off road, yet not buzz incessively on the pavement.

So if you care too, please list the tires you have on your X-Trail, or what you have switched to and your typical driving conditions.

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Tires again....

This has been covered in many posts...

I did not like the choice of tire that was given with the X-TRAIL... BridgeStone or Dunlops... I decided to go back to the tire company I have always liked.... GoodYear.

When I purchased my X-Trail last august... I traded my tires for the new GoodYear Assurance TripleTreads.. and also purchased for winter the GoodYear UltraGrip Ice.

I actually purcashed at the same time a set of the GoodYear Assurance TripleTreads for my Altima (now deceased)....

I love the TripleTreads.. they stuck to the road in wet and dry and corner extremely well and I have pushed them... what impressed me the most was the lack of road noise as well..

In Winter the GUGI's (GoodYear UltraGrip Ice) have been outstanding! Since I have never purchased winter tires before.. I will never go back to All Seasons in winter... big difference and safety is my concern. They have handled all the extreme Montreal weather we have had including the -40 days...they stick well... they are a bit noisy but most winters are.

I would recommend them.. no question... I am glad that I purchased the GoodYears.
ViperZ said:
What type of tires do you have on your X-Trail?

All seasons, summer specific, winter specific, knobby off roading, smooth tread car... etc??

I was thinking about this and wondering what other X-Trail'ers run on their Rigs.

I'm not sure what comes standard on the Canadian X-Trail, however I know they are an all seasons type of tire that probably leans toward the car/sedan type of tire, rather than a more aggressive cross type of tire that would be good for light off road, yet not buzz incessively on the pavement.

So if you care too, please list the tires you have on your X-Trail, or what you have switched to and your typical driving conditions.

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
All Mex X-Trails that I've seing:

Bridgestone's Dueler H/T 689
215/65r16
All Season

I'm not a huge fan of them, but their performance is ok even at a ~65cms floodage :thumbup:

I'll look for Goodyear's Tripledge later, thanks to Stephen Advise, unfortunatelly I've to look for them in a future trip to USA.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Only drove the stock Dunlop GrandTrek ST20 (?) for 100km least week before getting winter tires. Currently running Gislaved Nordfrost 3 tires on a second set of OEM steel rims. I never had the Dunlops in snow, but by the look of them, I didn't trust 'em. I did have the Gislaveds on snow this weekend, and they rock. I tried to get the X-Trail to slide or engage the ABS system, without success. To have pushed it harder would have been a little too scary for my wife.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steven, no need to "Tires Again" me... :rolleyes: I did the search, I did the reading, I just wanted a fresh post topic about it. If you don't care to contribute then don't, However you did, so thanks

Manugela, those sound a bit more like an off road tire with a slightely more aggresive tread?.

Chansen, I have read those Gislaved are great winter tires.

I was thinking of swapping out the tires to a slightly more aggressive off road tire, however didn't want to end up with a buzz saw...

For Winter tires, I'll probably get a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q's or those Gislaved.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Our driving conditions are primaraly city paved with trips to the farm on the weekend where the last 20km is grid gravel road. I would like to explore the grass hills and dirt fields around the farm area too.

I would like to move more to a Light truck tire provided it doesn't become too noisy.

Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684

Look like what I'm more after :T

Manugela, what don't you like about them, are they too loud?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My tire guy is a Nokian distributor, and they discourage use of the Hakka Q due to excessive wear. They strongly recommended the Gislaved as a longer-lasting Q-rated winter tire. Besides, I doubt you'll find a Hakka Q - they were replaced by the Hakka RSi, which may just be a better tire. Never drove it.

Volvo dealers have historically distributed Gislaved tires in Canada, but they are more widely available now. I drove them on an old 760 Turbo years ago, and I had Nokian Hakka 1's on my last car. I always trust the Scandahoovians when it comes to snow tires.

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
No Problem

Hey...nothing was meant by it...I should have put a :) besides it...sigh...... ... .. .

ViperZ said:
Steven, no need to "Tires Again" me... :rolleyes: I did the search, I did the reading, I just wanted a fresh post topic about it. If you don't care to contribute then don't, However you did, so thanks

Manugela, those sound a bit more like an off road tire with a slightely more aggresive tread?.

Chansen, I have read those Gislaved are great winter tires.

I was thinking of swapping out the tires to a slightly more aggressive off road tire, however didn't want to end up with a buzz saw...

For Winter tires, I'll probably get a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q's or those Gislaved.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bough Hak Q's last Winter 2003/2004, and they still look new, with lots of tread after 2 winter seasons.

With a longer wearing (harder) tire, you give up some ice control.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SCHESBH said:
Hey...nothing was meant by it...I should have put a :) besides it...sigh...... ... .. .
No Problems Steven :cool: I didn't mean anything either.... I'm just a bit excited and with no new truck to play with, I'm just going a bit stir crazy :cheers:

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
ViperZ said:
Manugela, what don't you like about them, are they too loud?
They're quiet, but MY particular driving conditions are not so normal:

*We got Mild Speed Limits (unexpensive speed tickets & no records).
*I live in a really small town & nearest city is 75kms away.
*Road to that city is a hill, curvy road, 2 way road.
*It rains ~4months a year, sometimes a LOT.
*Rain season doesn't mean cold season, so, summer tires are not an option.

Because all of that, I rather prefer an H rated All Season tire, like the Falken Ziex-512 I got at my Sentra, but those aren't available in 215/65r16 size.

By the way, at flat dry highway, Xty behaves great at ~180km/h, even with the Duelers H/T 689 :thumbup:

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
ViperZ said:
I bough Hak Q's last Winter 2003/2004, and they still look new, with lots of tread after 2 winter seasons.

With a longer wearing (harder) tire, you give up some ice control.
That is one mean winter tyre.

For you X'Trail guys, I think the highest performace tyre that is all season is the ContinentalPremierContact...this is IIRC the size you guys have. Obviously, for anyone where you get an assload of snow, I highly doubt an all season radial is gonna cut it so you need winter and summer tyres. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll say they still look new, they still have the little rubber thingies on it! Glad they're working for you.

What is the real name of those little rubber thingies on new tires?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
manuelga, it would seem you're looking more for a road tire like Steven has than the offroad light duty truck tire you currently have?

Thanks NickZac, they work very well on my BMW sedan, and turns it into a formidable Winter Weapon :)

This is the Continental Contact you were refering to?

I was wanting a tire that is rated for Street and Offroad duty, more than one that was just Street. However if you guys have been having success off roading with regular street all seasons, thats good to know.

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
ViperZ said:
manuelga, it would seem you're looking more for a road tire like Steven has than the offroad light duty truck tire you currently have?
Exactly, that's why I post earlier the plan to get a TripleTread set later.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
manuegla, got it.

Do any of you guys do any off roading at all? If you do, do you think the performance of the street tires are adequte for the light stuff the X-Trail can get into?

I know I'm certainly going to explore the off road capabilities of our X-Trail around the farm and Lake areas in Northern Saskatchewan. We even have some sand hills around our river that we use to off road our 2WD trucks and Honda civics when we were teenagers. Then one of our friends bought a Jeep CJ5 short wheel based unit. 304 AMC with a 3 speed manual and warn locking hubs. We had so much fun with that in the river and on sandbars.

I know the X-Trail can't get into where the Jeep did, but I would like to play around where we did with the 2WD trucks again.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
ViperZ said:

Thanks NickZac, they work very well on my BMW sedan, and turns it into a formidable Winter Weapon :)

This is the Continental Contact you were refering to?

I was wanting a tire that is rated for Street and Offroad duty, more than one that was just Street. However if you guys have been having success off roading with regular street all seasons, thats good to know.
Ahh...as far as offroading and all around performance, for your size, the Pirelli Scorpion seems to be the best rated. I have always liked the Yokohama Geolander line (which they may make a size for your car) and BF Goodrich All Terrain. I believe the all time offroading tyre is the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts