Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97' HB and it has 240k miles. It runs fine and I would like to keep it that way. Just checking to see what types of oil everyone is using. I was told to put Slick 50 in it but I'm uncertain about that. How about synthetic ? Just looking for your ideas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 97' HB and it has 240k miles. It runs fine and I would like to keep it that way. Just checking to see what types of oil everyone is using. I was told to put Slick 50 in it but I'm uncertain about that. How about synthetic ? Just looking for your ideas.

Thanks.
I have a 94 HB 4cyl 4wd 130k miles. The engine Really REALLY has to work hard to get up to speed. On the Hwy on a slight hill or in the wind i have to downshift to 4th and run 4000 - 5000 rpm to keep it going over 60. With all that in mind, I use mobile 1 synthetic just to make sure it has all the help it can get. Since I change it myself, the extra cost isn't too bad. To make it easy to remember when - I usually change oil when the odometer hits the 5's (125k, 130k, 135k, etc)

In other oil related news, mine had a leaky valve cover gasket that I replaced. That cleaned things up a bit. Since the engine tilts towards the back it had leaked quite a bit down the backside.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Any 5w30 should be fine. Keep using what got you there. The important thing is to regularly change the oil and filter which you obviously have.

Leave the Slick 50 ALONE. That's really a last resort for really worn engines. That stuff can clog up tight oil passages and give you real problems real quick..

You will only benefit from Synthetic if you run it hard or drive in extreme weather conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts

You will only benefit from Synthetic if you run it hard or drive in extreme weather conditions.
I guess thats why i mentioned the hw rpm's. It seems like driving my truck it's always working hard. I'm not one to race around and beat on it, but the engine really winds out even in daily driving around the suburbs. I know I don't need to run synthetic, but at the same time I feel a little less worse as the engine growls up to 5000 rpm. We do have a lot of hills around the Seattle area.

I am looking forward to taking it up to the seasons first real snow this weekend: WSDOT - Mountain Cameras

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any 5w30 should be fine. Keep using what got you there. The important thing is to regularly change the oil and filter which you obviously have.

Leave the Slick 50 ALONE. That's really a last resort for really worn engines. That stuff can clog up tight oil passages and give you real problems real quick..

Thanks for the heads up on the slick 50 thing. I have found mixed reviews but mostly bad ones...so thanks again.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You might want to look at a high mileage oil. I've been using Valvoline Max-Life 10W-30 in mine for quite a while and I'm happy with it, but I've only got 205K mile. I had to replace the valve cover gasket but it's pretty much stopped the minor leaks. It was straight dino, but most of the stores are now carrying the synthetic blend version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your information thus far. So far looks like I'm going to stick with regular or high mileage oil and keep my engine purring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I put Amsoil synthetic 5w30 in my car ('91 Honda Accord with 232k miles) and my trucks ('91 Nissan SE V6 160k miles, '95 Nissan SE V6 135k miles). I noticed no more leakage than before and a small improvement in mpg and better cold starting. Also, oil doesn't need to be changed as often and is still lubricating better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
at 240K(!!) miles I would hesitate to use synthetic. Whatever wear the engine has is barely going to get worse. Synthetic blends are a waste of money and offer poor value.

If you were going to use Synthetic Blend, then I would go to Wal-Mart and you will see pretty good prices. Otherwise a good 5-30 dino would do just fine. If you are lucky, the previous owner took good care of it and always changed the oil.

Then again, my friend has had 2 hardbody trucks, both 4 cyl and one went 292K miles and is still going somewhere with its new owner, and his current one has 172K which used to be my truck. he does NOT believe in changing the oil or filter. I change it for him when I can sneak the truck away from him.. I use synthetic in his truck with a K&N oil filter ( even though his truck is truly a POS) because I know that he averages 20K miles in between changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts