Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a det, t25,jwt ecu,370 inj, tmic,2 1/2dp, and soon to be a full 2 1/2 full exhausts. and im boosting to 6psi. any ideas? i also have a walboro hp fuel pump ordered.

Brian

Z

·
0 Posts
You're going to run a 14.2 @ 98 MPH. BTW the fuel pump will not do you any good. Your stock one can handle 250 HP, and you're not making that much. You will also make more HP by going to a full 3" exhaust. Also, stock boost on a BB DET is 6.5 psi.

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have times from today. remember it was 90+ degrees outside, i have tmic, oem rear exhausts and street tires and got a [email protected] 1st is useless, 2nd is better. i need slicks and my exhausts.

Brian

Z

·
0 Posts
Hmm, I was way off... and your times are way too slow for that engine. I don't mean it's your fault necessarily but maybe it's not tuned right? Can you post your timeslips? If you've dynoed the car, can you post the dyno sheet? Looking at those might give us some insight as to what's going on.

You should be trapping at 98 MPH at the very slowest I think, unless you've got some tuning issues. I ran a 13.8 @ 101 MPH with the same setup you have... the only main difference being a full 3" exhaust system. It just doesn't seem like that should make THAT much of a difference. FWIW, my runs were also on street tires, and it was something like 95 degrees that day.

What are you using for engine management? Oh wait, I just noticed this... you're running a top mounted intercooler. Do you have a scoop cut out for it? Even with a scoop it's still basically an interheater... heat soak gets really bad. Any other details you can give us about the car?

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i removed the hood, but have yet to make a scoop . everyone at the track said they were off 1/2-1second. i am getting the exhausts put on friday, and stripping the interior. i will let you know how it turns out. it is 82 today for a high, where last sat the heat index was 103.. this comming sat, it is suppost to be 86.

Brian

Z

·
0 Posts
okay, definitely let us know. But with the hood off... it's better than with the hood on, but it's not as good as a hood scoop because air isn't being forced into the intercooler, it's just going over it. If you switch to a front mount setup you'll probably gain some HP.

And 86 degrees seems more reasonable, you should be able to pull of some better times.

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am alos bringing the stock ser wheels, and going to drop pressure like a mofo, 12 pounds. well see, if they dont blow. they need better tires anyway, eagle rsa suck. im praying fo a 13.xx i am going to make a scoop, and pack the ic with ice between runs.

Brian

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didnt make the track yesterday, got frustrated that the muffler shop took all day. i will go next weekend.

Brian

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Don't get too anxious while staging and pay attention to the christmas trees and focus on your powerband. Learn your car and it's power band and I'm sure you'll do fine.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Your car should be going a little faster than that!! Check the timing. Are you putting out alot of black smoke? At worst you should be doing 14.4-14.1 @97-99mph....

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have tried to check the timing, but im unsure of how to read the marks. i was told the marks read -5,0,5,10,15,20. so my question is which way to read them while standing by the pass. fender, do i read left to right, or right to left? i was told 15degrees is where i want to be. which way do i twist the dist.? clockwise or counterclockwise. i know a little about swapping motors, changing autos to sticks, but timing, i dont have a clue.

Brian

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
In your case, I would set the timing at 12 degrees just because you haven't had the motor long. As far as the proper procedure for checking the timing on the SR's I'm not sure because I don't remember if you need to plug certain vacuum lines or not. Someone else in this forum should be able to help. I'm more of CA18DET fanatic and on this motor you just hook up your timing light and point away. I do know that each number represent the degree before top dead center.............

Z

·
0 Posts
I agree that 93-94 MPH is way too slow for that engine. Something is definitely not right. Make sure your timing is set correctly. I would put it at 15 BTDC.

You read the timing marks from left to right. To figure out which way to turn the distributor, have somebody else rotate it while you watch the timing marks. of course you should be able to tell anyway because the RPMs will rise or drop as you rotate the distributor.

As always, much more info about SE-Rs and what to do with them can be found on SE-R.net. For example, here's a page you should probably check out:

http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_timing.html

Read that whole page, there's some good tips on there.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
The reason why I said set the timing at 12 degrees BTDC is because you said you're already sat at 15 and the loss of power indicate detonation. Your knock sensor is picking up pinging and pulling the timing back and I bet that's what's trashing your trap time. Keep your ears open and learn about your investment because in the world of forced induction, "POP goes the weasel" and you'll be @ssed out of some pistons. Been there, done that and don't care to do it again. Also be weary of the ECU you are using and don't assume that everything is kosher because itall came as a package deal. I'll be checking the compression today if I were you.............my 4 cents worth....Zak knows a little more about the SR20 than I do so don't be afraid to ask ????'s

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am running jwt ecu, and i have been driving the car everyday, now have 1200+ miles on the motor since the swap. i am also thinking that with the timing off(maybe 7-8 advanced) and stock echausts on a hot day, that might be the reason i was soo slow. saturday needs to hurry up and get here. i dont know if i will see triple diget trap speeds, but i think it is possible. now that i have turbo back 2 1/2 exhausts, it feels alot better.

Brian

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i just read the page you game me Zak. thabk you, but i have a question. does this apply to det motors?

Brian

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[email protected], kills included a mustang cobra, a cocky z-28 owner who will never be beat by a 4 banger, and he would have beat me but his clutch slipped, and a 2nd z28.

Brian

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
I see you've learned to launch that puppy a little better, huh? Your trap speed is right on time:) Good job............

Z

·
0 Posts
TUNED200 said:
ok i just read the page you game me Zak. thabk you, but i have a question. does this apply to det motors?

Brian
The JWT chip is always tuned to run on 15 degrees base timing (unless it's specifically tuned for something else, such as C4 cams or something). So if you have a JWT chip, set your base timing to 15. Let it do the rest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts