Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GXE and I know that our MAF's and Tb's are small and that there are bigger ones that I could swap in. I want to swap the MAF, TB, and possibly the intake manifold. What car should I take the parts from?? What car can I take the most parts from that I can use on my car and will improve its performance.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Teknokid said:
What car can I take the most parts from that I can use on my car and will improve its performance.
A brand new 96 GXE....

Seriously you won't find any parts that will swap in, at least not for the intake manifold. There's aftermarket items for the TB and the MAF. It requires the ECU upgrade to make it work though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think you can swap in an sr20 tb/maf. I don't think you need to reprogram your ecu though. You definately can not swap your intake manifold though, as far as I know. Swapping with say, an sr20 would give you problems with where certain holes line up. I was curious about doing an intake manifold swap a couple weeks ago, and everyone assured me I would have to swap the entire head to get a different intake manifold. Also...I don't really think the tb/maf swap will help you practically at all unless you are running turbo/nos. Not 100% sure on this...anyone care to contradict me? Hope this helps.

Ju§tin

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well just the TB and MAF wouldnt really make a difference but I wanted to do the intake manifold as well. If it does not match up I think i would do a little P&P on it. If I have a bigger TB and MAF my intake choices would be better as I could get an intake made for the sr20 wouldnt I??

·
Registered
135 Posts
No you misunderstand. The HOLES and pipes are placed in different locations. This means you can't port and polish it. You must get a new head if you are swapping intake manifolds. On a sidenote, I know some company makes performance intake manifolds, but I think I'm referring to skunk2, which, alas, I believe would only be for Honda. Anyone know anymore on this subject?

ju§tin

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seriously though bro, if you are serious about becoming a threat to other "racers" (??) on the road, you need to swap your engine, or just buy a new car. I would recommend just a simple sr20de would be enough (IE- se-r engine). This would put you the next level up for performance/mods. The only way you would be putting a good investment into this current engine would be...yes..turbo. I have heard of several people running T25 turbos on the ga16, and they run low 13's and 12's. You should consider this if you are going to keep pouring money into your car, otherwise its pretty much a waste. I'm not saying this to be mean, just being realistic. I don't know if you are young. I'm 17 and I know that I will never be able to swap an engine, just because of money/ my parents would have a cow. Just offering some advice.

Ju§tin

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah well im 17 too. I turn 18 in July and my parents would still tell me something. Well I can understand because dropping the engine would take some time and this is my daily driver. We have two other cars but my parents drive those. I would have to get everything and possibly try to finish it in one weekend. Im not trying to get 12 second times although it would be cool but just to get me from point A to point B a little faster. And all the while not looking like everybody else. Maybe an engine swap sometime down the line but not now cause of college.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You are going to still want this car and be willing to pay $2000-3000 for it to be improved in 5 years? :rolleyes:
I am already losing interest in my 200sx se-r. :(

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not going to wait until after college to fix it up. I am going to do some foundation work this summer and then easy does it during the school year. Probably bolt ons in the summer and then by the this time next year, full blown turbo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Most of your bolts on go bye-bye when you go turbo, most of it is custom made stuff for a turbo kit. No HotShot CAI, no HotShot headers, no greddy exhaust, etc. Its all too restrictive for a turbo setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts