Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this guy wantin to sell me a 90 ZX N/A. It has an upgraded exaust system (no headers), alarm, red ground effects, nice audio system, and body kit (nose peice slightly broken but fixable). It has 166k on the clock and a decent paint job. How much should I offer for it? It was owned by a 20 y/o dude that is now in Iraq and he wanted something else. Right now his mother has it in her possesion. I dont exactly know how much green has been put into the car. Should I just ask him if I can take his system and ground effects off and give me a better price? I just need something that looks sporty and will get me from a to b with no problems. I really like the way it sits and looks. If anybody can give any additional info to me, I would much appreciate it.

BTW I am 16 and this is going to be my first car.

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Biscuit said:
I got this guy wantin to sell me a 90 ZX N/A. It has an upgraded exaust system (no headers), alarm, red ground effects, nice audio system, and body kit (nose peice slightly broken but fixable). It has 166k on the clock and a decent paint job. How much should I offer for it? It was owned by a 20 y/o dude that is now in Iraq and he wanted something else. Right now his mother has it in her possesion. I dont exactly know how much green has been put into the car. Should I just ask him if I can take his system and ground effects off and give me a better price? I just need something that looks sporty and will get me from a to b with no problems. I really like the way it sits and looks. If anybody can give any additional info to me, I would much appreciate it.

BTW I am 16 and this is going to be my first car.
sounds good.. but before you go and buy the car, call your insurance company and get a quote.. put the car under your mother's name of coarse to make it cheaper... if the insurance is affordable to you.. then consider the car further.. either that or dont get insurance... just my .02...

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im one step ahead of ya. I went and got that checked out today. It was only 404 bones semi annually. Thats with all of the discounts I can get. I found that pretty damn good. Dont worry..I can afford this car somewhat pretty good.

I have another question...how hard is it to change out the clutch on one of these? I looked at the motor and it scared me lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Biscuit said:
Im one step ahead of ya. I went and got that checked out today. It was only 404 bones semi annually. Thats with all of the discounts I can get. I found that pretty damn good. Dont worry..I can afford this car somewhat pretty good.

I have another question...how hard is it to change out the clutch on one of these? I looked at the motor and it scared me lol.
It is not hard to change the clutch as long as you have the right tools and equipment, the major thing is something to support the tranny when you are removing it. And you should be very afraid of the engine compartment, very cramped.

One thing I would check is when the 90 or 60K service was done, which is basically the timing belt, and while they ar eat it the water pump and all other belts, that is one pia or expensive job to have done. If you can have a Z shop look at it, check for any and all leaks, as mentioned the engine compartment is cramped and any job will be a pia or expensive.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I looked at the engine and said holy shit! But what can I say...I have been workin on a Cadillac for 2 years, I should be used to cramped places.

I dont think the dude owned it when the service was done. He's had this car this car for about 2-3 years so I dont beleive he coulda put that many miles on it in that amount of time, cuz you know he is in the marines or something like that.

Ill make sure to check all records and see if it was done. Also, its impossible to get a carfax for this car because the guy did all the work himself. I know this because of the exhaust and all the other stuff thats on it. Also another question, how long do these cars last engine wise?

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!!!!!

Today I test drove the car....I LOOOOOVE IT!!!! It hauls ass compared to my new Sentra (of course). This thing RUMBLES with the HKS exhaust. Its not super loud, I think it has silencers in it. I am really highly considering this car. I did notice that it has some cosmetic defects and other defects. For one thing, It needs some BRAKES. I had to really press down on the brake pedal to get that thing to stop. I think it might just need some pads. It also felt kinda "tight" not "mushy" if anybody gets what im sayin. But I had to put some pressure on it to stop it. So I am hopin it only needs brakes. And also like I said, it has a front bumper. Like...the corner has vibrated loose or something and now its over lapping the fender. It can be easily fixed though. While I was listening to the engine..I heard a small tick. I know its not the timing chain because it doesnt have one. So what could be causing this? Does it need a lifter adjustment? Its not very loud but audible. Either way...this car is nice. I like it alot and I really really want it. I finally got a price of 3250. Should I take it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Biscuit said:
Today I test drove the car....I LOOOOOVE IT!!!! It hauls ass compared to my new Sentra (of course). This thing RUMBLES with the HKS exhaust. Its not super loud, I think it has silencers in it. I am really highly considering this car. I did notice that it has some cosmetic defects and other defects. For one thing, It needs some BRAKES. I had to really press down on the brake pedal to get that thing to stop. I think it might just need some pads. It also felt kinda "tight" not "mushy" if anybody gets what im sayin. But I had to put some pressure on it to stop it. So I am hopin it only needs brakes. And also like I said, it has a front bumper. Like...the corner has vibrated loose or something and now its over lapping the fender. It can be easily fixed though. While I was listening to the engine..I heard a small tick. I know its not the timing chain because it doesnt have one. So what could be causing this? Does it need a lifter adjustment? Its not very loud but audible. Either way...this car is nice. I like it alot and I really really want it. I finally got a price of 3250. Should I take it?
Awsome The hks exhaust on an NA sounds so nice. It could be the injectors ticking-normal- and id say thats an sweet price for that car, do you have pics?

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill TRY to get pics. It has some shitty graphics on the side. I hate looking at them. They are comin off if I buy it. The exhaust DOES sound good. I like it...i like it alot lol. I hope it has silencers in there because i want it to be louder on the open highway. I still dont like the price. I want it at 3k and thats it. It has too many problems to be at low retail value. Still...how long do these cars last. I dont want to put in 3k and it only lasts me 50k miles.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Is it DOHC or Twin Turbo? If it's a turbo it'd be worth around $6,800 depending on exterior (how much rust's on it)... If it's not turbo I wouldn't pay more than $3,500.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Biscuit said:

wow......$404 bi-yearly? my b13 se-r is $160.

just an FYI, having a car with a good bit of power to start with isnt a good idea. my 99 GXE (while i hated the 95 WHP) that lack of HP has kept he out of alot of trouble. i havnt had one ticket/accident. start small.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got all the discounts like drivers ed and b average report card. Go ALLSTATE! I AM going to start small actually. I am going to order a new motor for my old Sentra and drive it for a few months. I dont plan to drive her fast I PROMISE. I cant afford to break this car plus I want it to last me another 100k miles. I just found out the guy isnt going to be back from Iraq for another 4 monthes so I have to wait till he comes back to sign the title. I dont want to offer more than 3000 because thats all I have to spend on a car. I plan to keep this car a long time, so how long do they usually last? BTW it has a 5 speed so I know that part will last a while. And when it does decide to give up on me, I am going to do the twin turbo swap and have a car that will burn ricers left and right. Thanks everybody for the opinions and advice. :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts