Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1991 300zx n/a is dead! threw a rod through the oil pan oops. lol im thinking about getting a RB20DET reason cheap still a v6 and parts are cheap as well im going to be doing this swap myself any suggestions and ideas are much appriciated

·
Registered
215 Posts
my 1991 300zx n/a is dead! threw a rod through the oil pan oops. lol im thinking about getting a RB20DET reason cheap still a v6 and parts are cheap as well im going to be doing this swap myself any suggestions and ideas are much appriciated
rb20det is not a v6, it is a I6 and it depends on parts for the rb. some are expensive some are not. if you need any parts let me know i may be able to help you. i can get oem japan parts from nissan

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
no kit just have to search and see what you need
My point is don't steer 801rc300 in the wrong direction. Buying a engine that is not designed for the Z32 will cost this guy A LOT more MONEY then buying a rebuilt VG30.

Do you understand?

As for my Sig. my server went down. :-/

·
Registered
215 Posts
My point is don't steer 801rc300 in the wrong direction. Buying a engine that is not designed for the Z32 will cost this guy A LOT more MONEY then buying a rebuilt VG30.

Do you understand?

As for my Sig. my server went down. :-/
i totally agree. he should get the original vg30dett. but its what he wants. its not up to us to deside for him cause he will be the one driving not us.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
i totally agree. he should get the original vg30dett. but its what he wants. its not up to us to deside for him cause he will be the one driving not us.
What he wants and what he can do are two different things. He's said he was on a limited budget and doing a swap like he wants will coast him a grip.

Another thing is that he doesn't know what he's talking about when he mentions that a RB20DET is a V6.

I'm not trying to be mean I just want him to get the correct information from this site instead of wasting his money and getting pissed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i understand thats its not a v6 it was a typo i should of posted 6 cylinder my bad. has anyone done this cause i know that an rb26 has been done and the engines are some what similar in design. i was also condering a small block 350 or similar engines. i dont want to put the vg30de or tt back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that engine is a nightmeere to work on. which i dislike im not that much on a budget now cause i bought another car so im going to take my time and make it worth it

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
I know of a guy that put a rb26dett into a Z32 which is similar to your rb20dett. This guy invested a lot of money into his project more then $15K+. Are you willing to do that? If so I'll get you in contact with the guy but only if you are serious about such a project? I don't want him to waste his time and explain everything to you only for you to say that is way over your head.

These things are not a simple drop in and you have to modify and make one of a kind fabrication for your project to work.

Do you have a mechanic that has the gift to fab things up and think out side of the box? Do you have the money to pay such a mechanic let alone parts for your project?

Again the last thing I want you to do is :balls: after you invested so much money into a project and not have enough to finish it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i was thinking more towards 5k and im not sure that i want turbo involved i might look into ls1 swaps im still trying to figure whats best to suit me. and thats why i came to ask what others think about which swap is best i first wanted the sr20 and still consider but i do have many friends with fabrication for pretty much anything i can design on cad and techs to help with the tuning

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Any swap is going to be costly especially since the Z32 engine bay is tight. Friends are good to have but time and material is not cheap. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i understand thats its not a v6 it was a typo i should of posted 6 cylinder my bad. has anyone done this cause i know that an rb26 has been done and the engines are some what similar in design. i was also condering a small block 350 or similar engines. i dont want to put the vg30de or tt back in.
Small blocks are something you can put in relitively cheap. But they are a pain to work on once you get them locked in, plus you have to swap the tranny, and rear dif. and I don't know if a 10bolt will fit back there in the first place.

Question though, why are you opposed to putting a TT or NA back into it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think im just going to try and sell the car as is and buy a 89 gts-t but if i dont sell it i will just rebuild the n/a motor im still deciding what to do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts