Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping I don't need premium gas like the Maxima. I'm trying to go cheap cheap cheap here, and the Sentra seems good.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the manual reccomend premium? Or the gas cap lid? On the Maxima, it said use premium, but people said "you can use regular". I CAN, but is it built for premium or not? I don't own the car yet, so I cant check.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
The differences between the E, XE and the GXE are purely cosmetic. They all use regular. There is no ambiguity about it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have used premium and regular. Some people say that using Premium on a non modified engine is a waste of money but I've done it anyway. I really works out to be the same because I get better mileage with higher octance, so there is no real cost difference. I really like to use premium during the summer where I live because it is so humid and to me it FEELS like the car runs better. However, I have never had any trouble using regular on my 96 Sentra GXE (ga16de). I don't see why you would have any problems running regular as well. Unless you have boosted your compression or have advanced timing (or any other mods like that) you should be fine.

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
well, my timing must be waaaaaaay off because anytime i put 87 in my car it seems to make me pay for it. yanno, simple things like making me wait on the side of the road until its ready to go. but when i put premium in it. it runs fine and doesnt stallout at lights

·
Registered
326 Posts
thats weird..

it says that you have it timed to 17 degrees isnt a little too much, and how much should i advance if im not sure whether its higher than 10 by 2 degrees or lower than 10 by 2 degrees? kinda confusing

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
it says that you have it timed to 17 degrees isnt a little too much, and how much should i advance if im not sure whether its higher than 10 by 2 degrees or lower than 10 by 2 degrees? kinda confusing
That is because my se-r has the sr20de engine while your car has the ga16.

You can find out w/ a timing light. You can buy one for $40-80 at a car parts store or you can have a mechanic do it for about $35. Just tell them you want it set at 'x' degrees.

I'm not the most knowledgable as far as the ga16 engine, do a search of the boards and I'm sure you will find much more information. I know someone has a webpage showing detailed instructions (and pictures) of how to adjust your timing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
what are the symptoms if you fill up with 87 octane and you have your timing advanced, because i was thinking what if the last person before me that had the car advanced the timing? i wouldnt know, if its detonation how would you know? lol

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
shmuck90 said:
what are the symptoms if you fill up with 87 octane and you have your timing advanced, because i was thinking what if the last person before me that had the car advanced the timing? i wouldnt know, if its detonation how would you know? lol
It would proabably be knocking.

Can anyone tell a difference between cheap and premium fuel in thier SE-R?

·
Registered
61 Posts
funny funny... the lowest octance number available here in Iceland is 95, the highest 99. If I want more I'll have to get some from the airport (around 130, difficult to get) or use a octane booster.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
ok .. im gonna tell you what ive learned bout gas octains and what to use and so on.. heres the deal.. im trying to remember all your questions..

#1.. ga16de AND sr20 engines.. use the low octains if you dont care about the poor deposits that will remain in your car, but the lower the octain.. the faster it burns.. which means. better acceleration.. BUT you will not run as well on the express way.. the higher octains matter at higher speeds..
#2.. ifyou advance timiing.. or add n20 or turbo you need to have the higher octains..
#3.. octain boosters.. the most expensive ones.. only boost power to only up to 10 points.. so if you put 94.. like i do in my turbo probe.. it boosts it to 95 octain..
#4 if you live where i live.. using lower octains can be good in the winter because i noticed my car heats up quicker.. beasue again the fast burning of fuel..
#5.. lower octains like people said.. when they burn faster.. you loose milage.. so if you put a higher octain in .. you will have better gas milage.. because higher octain burns slower and is more effecient.. am i forgeting anyones question?

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Do not pay attention to what 1999GXE1.6 wrote about octane, because he got it wrong except for 2).

Octane has NO bearing on fuel burn speed.

Lower octane does NOT cause deposit build-up.

In and of itself, octane won't affect acceleration. You must alter engine operating parameters for that.

Octane boosters are an EXPENSIVE way to get octane boost; it takes lots of it per tankful.

Gas mileage is unaffected by fuel octane UNLESS standard operating conditions cause the ECU to retard timing. If the engine doesn't knock on 87 octane, you won't get better mileage just by using higher octane fuel.

Search this site and sr20deforum for the link to The Gasoline FAQ.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks alot for clearing everything makes much more sense, btw i still dont understand how ping or knocking sounds like, how would i know if my car is doing one of the 2.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts