Nissan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what is the secret to getting the passenger side drive axle out of a 1992 SE-R? The driver's side axle came out with no problem. Two broken screw drivers and 3 unsuccessful pry bars later, the passenger side axle is still in. Which side of the dust cap at the bearing housing should I be prying on?

Please somebody, help...:(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try rotating the axle about half a turn. The c clip might be caught in the differential. Try and pry it out again. If it doesn't work rotate it more and try again. It could take several tries but, I've had some luck doing it this way.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
The support bearing has to be unbolted first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Centurion said:
The support bearing has to be unbolted first.
Do you mean unbolt it from the block or unbolt the bearing itself? If I unbolt it from the block, then what would I use for leverage when prying?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I buy a new drive axle with the support bearing already attached? I've got the entire assembly (with the support bearing attached) out of the car. I still can't get that bearing off of the axle shaft. I've tried everything including a ball joint separator. I know that the bearing is actually pressed into the housing, but what about the axle shaft? Is it pressed into the bearing?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Db Diablo said:
Can I buy a new drive axle with the support bearing already attached? I've got the entire assembly (with the support bearing attached) out of the car. I still can't get that bearing off of the axle shaft. I've tried everything including a ball joint separator. I know that the bearing is actually pressed into the housing, but what about the axle shaft? Is it pressed into the bearing?
Ok, what side are you trying to remove? the one that goes to the engine (tranny) or the one that goes to the front bearings with the big 32 nut ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it

Thanks guys, I figured out what I was doing wrong. The first thing I need to do is throw away my HAYNES repair manual and buy a FSM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For future reference

Just for future reference. So that no one else will have to go through what I've gone through.

The facts that the Haynes manul left out:

1) Remove the three bolts from the support bearing housing BEFORE prying the drive axle out of the transmission.

2) The support bearing has to be PRESSED from BOTH the bearing housing AND the axle shaft. (I spent 3 hours trying to pry this thing off with a pry bar. By the way, the bearing/housing does not come with the new drive axle...dealer part.)

Hopefully, I will save someone else a future headache.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: For future reference

Db Diablo said:
Just for future reference. So that no one else will have to go through what I've gone through.

The facts that the Haynes manul left out:

1) Remove the three bolts from the support bearing housing BEFORE prying the drive axle out of the transmission.
Just looked at mine... look what i found: Page 8-6
Driveaxles - Removal and Installation Step 10
Carefully pry the inner CV joint out of the transaxle and remove the driveaxle assembly. On some 1991 and later models, the inner CV joint housing on the right (passenger side) driveaxle terminates at a support bearing instead of the transaxle...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Centurion said:
How did you get the bearing off?
I'm taking it to a machine shop on Monday and have them press the bearing off of the old driveaxle and back onto the new driveaxle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: For future reference

SergioCR said:
Just looked at mine... look what i found: Page 8-6
Driveaxles - Removal and Installation Step 10
Carefully pry the inner CV joint out of the transaxle and remove the driveaxle assembly. On some 1991 and later models, the inner CV joint housing on the right (passenger side) driveaxle terminates at a support bearing instead of the transaxle...
Point is, you can't "pry" the CV joint housing out of the support bearing. You have to remove the driveaxle assembly with the support bearing attached.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Re: Re: For future reference

Db Diablo said:
Point is, you can't "pry" the CV joint housing out of the support bearing. You have to remove the driveaxle assembly with the support bearing attached.
Yep, since it's pressed into the bearing.... good point... maybe they didn't took the chance to put it since not all the sentras has this setup... would be interesting to know what the "Chilton's Sentra Repair Manual" says about that point...

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
The first thing I need to do is throw away my HAYNES repair manual and buy a FSM.
I felt that way too until I got my FSM and realized that it's not perfect either. It's great, well worth the money, but it still lacks some things that you'll find in a Chilton's or a Haynes. It's helpful to have both. Maybe consider getting a Chilton's Total Car Care manual if they make one for our cars. I had one of those for my wife's old car and it was pretty decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts