Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I was wondering if i should start putting preformance mods on my spec V. I am willing to spend the money, if the parts are worth it. I was wondering if anybody else has a CAI from AEM, or a hotshot header, and if they do, could u notice the difference. Also, does anybody know if forced induction racing has a site?

any info would be appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
871 Posts
being a man of the dyno (not bible) i can say that the hotshot header is a big a$$ impovement over stock. Check their site for the exact numbers, but I think they pulled like an extra 11 ft Lbs and about the same HP gains. its a $400 part, but it seems to be worth it. next up would be the AEM CAI, it produced good gains all the way through the RPM band, again check their site for the exact dyno results. After market "performance exhausts" are pretty much B.S. they sound great, but without a header and high-flow cat they are all about the sound. Best bang for buck has and always will be the risky funny gas called NOS. which i would highly NOT recomend on such a motor as the QR25.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the great info on the aftermarket products. I saw the area 51 supercharger on the project spec v, and was wondering if there were any dyno charts. Also, about the forced induction racing turbo for the QR25, what kind of gains did anybody notice from their trbo. Worth it or not?

Jason

I know, i know, its a turbo, but i dont know if i should wait for say, a garret, greddy, or apexi turbo.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the stillen exhaust has reported significant power gains i havnt emailed them about it yet to see what they actually got, but the reported like 20hp and i think 17 or so ftlbs torque on the altima with the 2.5, nissan says there is roughly 25 hp tied up in its exhaust system thats on the car. so a cai header and exhaust you can prolly get around 30 hp and 20ish ft lbs of torque.
thats a lot with just bolt on parts...

·
Registered
672 Posts
wow, thats alot of hp gained by just bolt ons! wait ti they decode the ecu! hehe, maybe this will be my next car in a few years.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you all getting a drop in K&N filter for a Spec V? K&N told me they don't have one for the Spec V yet. One last question, which CAI is better, HOT SHOT or AEM. Another concern is which one will keep the water out best? I thought someone told me the Hot Shot was in a place that is less likely to get water.

·
Registered
172 Posts
go to autozone and ask the pimple faced snot behind the counter and ask him for a K&N replacement filter for a 2001 sentra SE part number : 33-2031-2 toss the foam strips in the trash and the cheap paper filter, put the niew one in press down hard on the cover (its a little thicker than the stock one) and snap the clips. Whala 6 hp gain :D for about 45 bucks. but just to let you know the crappy air intake snorkle directs the air in a strip in the middle of the filter and will turn it black after about 500 miles.

·
Registered
674 Posts
vincev said:
Where are you all getting a drop in K&N filter for a Spec V? K&N told me they don't have one for the Spec V yet. One last question, which CAI is better, HOT SHOT or AEM. Another concern is which one will keep the water out best? I thought someone told me the Hot Shot was in a place that is less likely to get water.
They have a k&n drop in filter for the spec V in the Nissan Motorsports catalog.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just talked with K&N today and they told me the drop in filter for the Spec V does NOT exist and that people may be using on that is similar in size but not designed for the Spec V. He said the one designed for the Spec will be out in Sept. CAI is probably the way to go anyway but I am still looking for opinions on which brand is best.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Correct, we are using the box filter from (sr20de) some other motor, and it fits. K&N is making a perfect fitting one soon.

AEM is better if your worried about water, because its compatable with their bypass valves.

In my years of car repair, i've never heard of any car (mustang or import) getting 30 hp from muffler and intake. If, and only if, you pulled your cats and collectors off, then maybe an intake and exhaust (minus cats and collectors) could net you 30 hp at the flywheel. Stillen is lying if they say just an exhaust is netting 20hp at the wheels. I promise.

·
Registered
674 Posts
In my years of car repair, i've never heard of any car (mustang or import) getting 30 hp from muffler and intake. If, and only if, you pulled your cats and collectors off, then maybe an intake and exhaust (minus cats and collectors) could net you 30 hp at the flywheel. Stillen is lying if they say just an exhaust is netting 20hp at the wheels. I promise. [/B][/QUOTE]

What about the Maxima? I had a 95 Max Se and with cold air intake and b-pipe it was supposed to get big gains. And with the Cattman y-pipe, hello. For sure big gains. I can't imagine what the gains are on the new Maxima and Altima.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ok the info i got from stillen on the exhaust is for the 3.5 not the 2.5 so there will be a diffference there. but HS is claiming like 10 hp, AEM says about 7 to 10 and the majority of aftermarket exhaust systems are good for about 7 to 12 hp +or-
look in the june 2002 issue of Sport compact car they get 40hp with just boltons in a WRX. granted its a turbo but these kinds of gains are becomming more common with the new engine designs and learning computers. the older ecus went off hard set codes and didnt stray from them. the new generation of computers actually learn drivers habits and make adjustments for all kinds of variables like more airflow less back-pressure and such to make the power that make. thats why its going two ways either no ecu upgrades or huge gains in some cases depending on the application. the days of slapping a monster cam and high comression pistons with a gas chugging holley double pumper are over. but the time tested tricks still work, sometimes rather well.

most dont know how these bolt on parts can create more hp, its simple. the internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. the more you can get in it the more power you can make. basically.
cai's work off drawing cooler air through a smooth bore tube increasing its velocity, more air in more power. headers and exhaust systems , same principle smoother less resistant path for the air to travel in, and removal of the primary cats in most cases (qr25)helps a great deal. also headers as well as exhaust systems work on a simple point they make use of the exhaust pulse of the engine to create a vacuume in the pipes. so on each exhaust stroke it literally sucks the spent gasses from the cylinder thus making more room for the intake charge. as to allow more clean air fuel mix into each cylinder ie: more power...

·
Registered
369 Posts
qr25 bolt ons

intake 7-10hp(aem, placeracing, hot shot) I dynoed my intake I gained 9hp max and 8lb/ft max. Headers hotshot 12hp and 11.7lb/ft max(see nissan performance mag for dyno sheet) exhaust on a n/a car most will produce 3-6hp max. I dynoed my stromung at 6hp and 4lb/ft. So it is very possible to add 25hp to the qr25 with bolt ons. I am going dyno my car this weekend or next I will post my results with all the mods on the car, and I will have two other spec v there to compare numbers to.:eek:

·
Registered
871 Posts
notice the trend of 5-10 hp here or there, i total belive and have seen gains of around 10hp for intakes, and upwards of 15 hp for headers. I've dynoed about 25 cars and never seen double didget gains from exhaust alone.

Add all these parts together at about 10 hp each you get around 30hp in bolt-on's. that is great, I'm happy to see those numbers. Dyno's are pretty acurate, and done right they dont lie. And for as much power as the SE-R looses in the drivetrain i'm gald we can get some back. Can't wait for forced induction.

·
Registered
369 Posts
red SE-R said:
i posted this link earlier read it its a guy in New Orleans who has turbo systems for the QR25. What im wondering is has this guy done anything about the valves and springs.

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25591&highlight=Turbo+kits
travis is using the stock internals no mods will be nessary with this kit because the engine will snap its rods at 275whp(according to jim wolf). So until we get new rods and pistons and a decoded ecu there is no reason for different valve springs because you would not be able to take advantage of the new parts. Also there is not a stand alone engine management system that can handle ctvc so you could not use a higher rev limiter with the ctvc.;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
BORNGEARHEAD said:
In my years of car repair, i've never heard of any car (mustang or import) getting 30 hp from muffler and intake. If, and only if, you pulled your cats and collectors off, then maybe an intake and exhaust (minus cats and collectors) could net you 30 hp at the flywheel. Stillen is lying if they say just an exhaust is netting 20hp at the wheels. I promise. [/B]
What about the Maxima? I had a 95 Max Se and with cold air intake and b-pipe it was supposed to get big gains. And with the Cattman y-pipe, hello. For sure big gains. I can't imagine what the gains are on the new Maxima and Altima.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with this. 30HP is unrealistic unless maybe the car has forced induction to start with. On a turbo car, and 15HP gain is possible depending on how restrictive the stocker was.

The number one NA HP gain on the Spec V is going to be a header with no cat.

Race shops are out ot make money and I don't belive a lot of the dyno's I see. Not that the dyno's are fake, but it's takes a number of parts put togeather to get added HP. No exhaust for the spec V is going to free up 25HP. No way in Hell. If you have a intake, header w/out cat, main high flow cat, no resenator, and a free flowing muffler, or a cat back, you might see 25-30HP over a 100% stock car. If you have been around long enough, you would know that getting rid of stock cats, and mufflers alone are going to free up power, not the larger exhaust. At least not for a na 2.5l

Or you might get a little gain on top, but the low end loss would be lousy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 04 spec v with recent adds of a hotshot header, AEM CAI, magnaflow cat back. Tremendous pull especially in higher gears. I am speculating a gain of somewhere between 25-30 HP. I did add a larger resonator (18") to reduce some of the drown when at freeway speeds.

It's a rocket...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts