Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion, what header make more peak power and why?
- Ebay 4-2-1 header. (Primaries 1.5" / 1.75" out) (pair cylinder 1&4 / 2&3)

- Pacesetter Header 4-2-1. (Primaries 1.5" / and 2" out) (pair cylinder 1&3 / 2&4)

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
i'll put my money on the ebay one, and i'll explain.

firstly, this ebay header is an OBX knockoff. if you go to OBX's website, you can find this header there.

everyone remembers the hot shot headers for the GA16DE as the best headers to get. common misconception is that the pacesetters are hotshot copies. this is not true, because the hot shot header mates cylinders 1&4 and 2&3, where as the pace setter goes 1&3, 2&4. the purpose of mating cylinders, is to mate it with the cylinder firing 1 full cycle after it. in doing so, when the exhaust gasses rush through the mating collector, you want them to pull the exhaust that is newly flowing out of the head on the mated cylinder.

if you matched one and three, you would see this, but not to the effect of 1 and 4, especially at high RPM.

so my first reason is that though the pacesetter initially LOOKS more like the hot shot, the ebay header is much more close in design.

the other thing, is that honestly, the ebay header looks to be of much better quality. YES I SAID I THINK THE EBAY HEADER IS HIGHER QUALITY. the flange is thicker, making it better for decking if it gets warped, and also for port matching to the head, and the welds are cleaner. that weld job on the last collector of the pace setter is absolutely horrid. its disgusting. i have the ebay header, and i must say the quality is much better. better manufacturing results in better flow (more power), and a longer lasting product.

as for the ebay header being 1.75" out and the pace setter being 2" out, more physics.

when air is in a smaller space, it will much more readily go from a small space to a large space. that is why headers go from a smaller diameter inlet to a larger diameter outlet. this creates a higher velocity flow of air, causing the exhaust gases to rush out of the system, rather than be propelled out. anyone who is into ITB's and velocity stacks understands this well.

assuming that we also have a full exhaust, i believe the ebay header will still perform better.

the only catback exhaust for GA's is the pacesetter, and it's 2", which is more than adequate. you won't see more power from a 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust on an N/A GA, so why go bigger, just for the extra noise?

by going with the ebay header, you will create a 1.5-1.75-2" exhaust system. i think that this will create a higher velocity flow out of the exhaust compared to just the 1.5"-2" that going pacesetter from the head back would.

oh, and lets not forget the $150 difference in price....

buy the ebay header.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
Hotshot is
The header pairs cylinders 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 to create an interference branch in addition to the normal, tuned length of the unpaired primaries.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Hotshot is
The header pairs cylinders 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 to create an interference branch in addition to the normal, tuned length of the unpaired primaries.
pretty sure its 1&4 and 3&2

here's a pic :hot shot header

heres the 3 types of headers:

hotshot:

OBX/ebay:

Pace setter header:

as you can see, the OBX/ebay header is most like the hot shot header. the other thing i like about the obx/ebay header, is that it's one piece. its a bitch to get in, but as there's fewer parts joined by bolts, you have way less chance of an exhaust leak, which is really bad, especially if you're running an obd2 which an exhaust leak would fake a lean condition, making the engine run extra rich.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
where did they show the o2 sensor? the old hotshot header Gen 1 hit the alternator unless you got a shorter sensor. the bosch hit the thing. the wrapped header above shows no sensor???? mmmm.. Most headers are now knockoffs of the hotshot gen 1. The newest hotshot is best for the GA16DE because you get the downpipe with flex joint that enters direct to the CAT. the old Gen 1 header used the old very small front pipe. it was stupid. I believe some of the other ones also used the old Nissan front pipe to the CAT. way too small. I had a shop make me a 2 1/4 pipe there for that old hotshot gen 1 header. now I have the gen 2 unit. much better fit also. o2 sensor is lots better now.

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the ebay header, and it is actually pretty good! The build quality and materials seem great, the welds look WAY better than the ones on the pacesetter.

There were some issues though. Being a one piece design, it was a PITA to install. There was also an issue with the alternator. The header woudn´t go in becasue the alternator sat too close to the engine/exhaust manifold. I had to get a slightly bigger alternator belt to move it a bit away from the engine to get it to fit.

BEsides that, the O2 sensor fit perfectlly, and the EGR pipe had to be slightly bent to be screwed in, no big deal.

Also, getting the O2 sensor and EGR pipe off was a bitch, they usually have been there for a long time so, a heat with a torch - cool with water metod was used to get them moving. Apply LOTS of WD40. If this header was a 2 piece, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where did they show the o2 sensor? the old hotshot header Gen 1 hit the alternator unless you got a shorter sensor. the bosch hit the thing. the wrapped header above shows no sensor???? mmmm.. Most headers are now knockoffs of the hotshot gen 1. The newest hotshot is best for the GA16DE because you get the downpipe with flex joint that enters direct to the CAT. the old Gen 1 header used the old very small front pipe. it was stupid. I believe some of the other ones also used the old Nissan front pipe to the CAT. way too small. I had a shop make me a 2 1/4 pipe there for that old hotshot gen 1 header. now I have the gen 2 unit. much better fit also. o2 sensor is lots better now.

Chris 92 classic
This header have the o2 sensor on the cilynder #2, maybe is a HS gen #1....:confused:
I use this header with 2.25" exhaust, Ebay 2.25" high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler 2.25" In/Out and now have more throttle response, more power and i feel more peak power.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Problem with the OBX is, its 1 piece.

Ive never personally installed one. But ive heard its a PITA.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Problem with the OBX is, its 1 piece.

Ive never personally installed one. But ive heard its a PITA.
it is a MFPITA, but there are bonuses to 1 piece. and as much as it is a pain in the ass, it can still be put on the car with the engine in the car.

as for the hot shot one DJ, they pop up once in a while. one popped up this winter, but its the first seen in a while.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Every now and then someone is selling a hotshot header.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Regarding the O2 sensor on the B13 ebay header, will it cause any emissions problems? Does the fact that it takes the signal from only one of the pipes/cylinders cause any trouble?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Regarding the O2 sensor on the B13 ebay header, will it cause any emissions problems? Does the fact that it takes the signal from only one of the pipes/cylinders cause any trouble?
shouldn't be a problem in any way. ebay headers are listed as for the B13, but will fit a B14 the same. all OBD1 O2 sensors are precat, and a 2 sensor OBD2 system has one precat and one postcat, so the header works fine for both. which cylinder the sensor is on is irrelevent, unless you have issues on that cylinder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i just got the pacesetter catback and the ebay header. im gunna bring it to a shop to get it all installed soon. will they know what to do with the egr valve since it doesnt line up right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.