Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried 87 and 89 octane, Car seems to run ok on both with occasional sputter that I have not determined what is causing it. What grade does everyone use?

Jasper

·
Registered
734 Posts
i use 93 octane in all my cars. a sputter can be anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
87. No point in anything else. I've run 89 and 93, no difference. The only time I ever noticed a difference is when I was in a bind and I had to throw in some Arco. Oh boy it would have been better to push the car. Ran like crap. It's never run right since and my mileage has gone from 32 down to 27. Of course around here, you have Arco, you have 76, you have Tesoro(if you can find one), and then the other stations, Shell, Texaco, and Chevron are all owned by the same company and all the gas is the same in them. Which is what I normally use. There is also Mobil stations but they are almost a dollar per gallon more then anywhere else.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
87. No point in anything else. I've run 89 and 93, no difference. The only time I ever noticed a difference is when I was in a bind and I had to throw in some Arco. Oh boy it would have been better to push the car. Ran like crap. It's never run right since and my mileage has gone from 32 down to 27. Of course around here, you have Arco, you have 76, you have Tesoro(if you can find one), and then the other stations, Shell, Texaco, and Chevron are all owned by the same company and all the gas is the same in them. Which is what I normally use. There is also Mobil stations but they are almost a dollar per gallon more then anywhere else.
the bolded statement isn't quite true... they are most certainly not all one company. they are all oil cmpanies, that drill for oil themselves.

the oil for each individual company is refined by one company, that is why it's all the same, regardless. however, chevron puts techron in their fuel. that's why you'll notice that chevron fuel gives you lower mileage. you actually have less fuel in your tank. they seem to put more techron in as price of gas goes down as well, so if you like chevron for the techron, use it once and a while. it is good injector cleaner, but what's the point of using it all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually here where I live the bolded statement is true. I realize this isn't the case everywhere else though. All the additives in Texaco, Shell, and Chevron out here are all Techron as well. I linve in Portland Oregon. This scenario will change before too long though. It has been like this a couple of times before. Right now however, it doesn't matter which one you go to. Of course then again as I said that's only here where I am. your "mileage" may differ. HAH!

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, you're right. Sonic, Shell and Texico do not go out and "drill oil" Exxon drills the oil. The only difference like you stated is the additives that are put into the gas once it is pumped into the station.

Usually there are 1 or 2 trucks hauling the gas to ALL the gas stations in a particular county, and it's alllll the same, ask any driver who transports gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts