Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of a lot of crazy ideas to my car. One of em is swapping the cylinder head of the GA16DE to my GA16i. Ga16i is 12 valve, single cam 90 HP and no aftermarket support while the Ga16de is multi port injection, 16 valves, I can get CAI, Header, cams and upgraded ECU. I think it will be easier to swap the head(like the Honda Boys)rather than swapping the whole engine, tranny and other things. Do you guys think it is possible? I am only considering these options if it is possible. If cant be done, I like to get a SR20DE or even a GA16DE just to improve the power department. BTW I have Nissan Pulsar 89 with GA16i basically a B12 just with different shell. Later...:cool:

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Well swapping the cylinder head is a good idea but, you really have to check into things first. The main concern I have is the pistons are most likely different between the GA16i and the GA16de. I am almost certain of it since one is twin cam and the other is 12 valve. By doing so you may cause the pistons to collide with the valves which would destroy your whole motor.

You'd really be better off swapping to a CA18DE foudn in the later model pulsars. Its also twin cam and 16 valves and produces somewhere around 125 hp, I think.

They have turbo versions of it in japan and a lot of aftermarket support.

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ca18DE for early Nissans are not reliable. The parts too are expensive. I rather swap a GA16DE with a growing aftermarket support, than an older engine that has none. Actually, I've been thinking of modding my engine now. Maybe mild port and polished, euro cam from Nismo, rebore the cylinder, stronger/lighter valves. Or even low PSI homemade turbo, just to psst off the Honda boys. There is one GA16i turbo that I know of and parts came from Ford Probe and Mazda MX6 with custom pipes. Here is a sample pic

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
That picture just gave me a great idea on how to make an intake for the e16i engine!!! Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hybrid Det, dont get me wrong my real interest is to swap a SR20DET. But I would like to start from small and build experience from it. I 've never done anything major to my engine so Iam a little reluctant. I am sure you will offer any help if any of us need your expertise. The turbo GA16i is a Nissan Pulsar and his name is Alex. You can read more about his car in the Heavy Tuned Gallery in EXA CLUB.

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Mervic said:
Hybrid Det, dont get me wrong my real interest is to swap a SR20DET. But I would like to start from small and build experience from it. I 've never done anything major to my engine so Iam a little reluctant. I am sure you will offer any help if any of us need your expertise. The turbo GA16i is a Nissan Pulsar and his name is Alex. You can read more about his car in the Heavy Tuned Gallery in EXA CLUB. [/QUOTE

You didnt come off on the wrong way, I just caught myself being rather hypocritical with my tone. I mean I love making off the wall modifcations that make people say "what the fuck?!!?"

I think in a sense that's what sets us B12/ N12 guys apart from the rest of the nissan gang. . . and personally I'd love to see a relaible turbo ga16i set up so alot of us could have more bolt on performance.

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hybrid DET, Is there any book or journals not including the regular magazines (SCC, Super Street etc..) that I can gather more info on turbocharging? I do not have enough knowledge to start a homemade turbo project and ruin my only car. I am thinking of a same set-up like the Turbo Ga16i, but need to know how to hook up the oil lines, fabricate a turbo manifold, dial in your fuel mixture so it will not lean out and a lot of other things that need to be addressed when doing a turbo project. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wonder if JWT could reprogram the GA16i to use a DE MAF and run additional injectors in the intake tube? Could be a more reliable setup.(The reason for adapting MAFS, in case you didn't know, the GA16i MAF is located in the throttle body, being a *hotwire* MAF, it would not be accurate or long lived if fuel or nitrous for that matter were sprayed across it.
John

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of swapping at first the intake manifold only of the GA16DE so I can have like you mentioned the MAF, three extra injector(you probably know the GA16i is Single injector), a better flowing intake manifold and be able to bolt on a CAI from Hotshot or Place Racing. Do you guys think its possible? With the swap I probably need the ECU as well to control the injectors pulse.

·
Registered
258 Posts
MAF= Mass Air Flow meter/sensor.
I don't know if it is possible or not on the intake manifold. If you do, you would need to convert the whole head. Which would require making sure the pistons have valve clearance, a new timing cover/oil pump, doing the wiring and ECU, and possibly some other things. In case you are curious though, one way to know is to compare the intake manifold gaskets. If you feel real gutsy, go to U-pull it junkyuard and rip the head from a GA16i, then pull the head from a GA16DE, compare the piston tops and head gaskets to make sure all oil and coolant gallies line up, then pull the rest of everything you need to convert. Just a thought.
John

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
You can check out a book called "automotive supercharging and turbocharging systems" the isbn is 0-87938-657-6. Its kinda heavy reading at times but you can learn alot of theory from it.

As far as the whole ECU thing, Jim Wolf wont touch our car's ecu. Trust me, been down that road. Too much R&D hours without the interest to justify it. If you stick to a real low boost (5lbs) maybe you could get away with the stock one, but who knows until you try.

There's always a stand alone unit if all else fails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts