Nissan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can get a 10" Rockford Fosgate HE2 for like 130 retail but you could find it online for a lot less I know that the dealer cost is less then 80 bucks so some people should be selling it for like 100 or so. On top of that Rockford Fosgate makes a 300S and 400S that might be good applications for what your looking for, and both of those will push that HE2 bridged at two ohms, and it is a DVC so your getting in essense a two for one deal, for a four channel RockFord has a 500x, it's rated at like 65 watts times four at 2 ohms and 40x4 at 4 ohms so make sure you have to speakers to match it because Rockford doesn't post max they post RMS. There are a lot of great brands out there you just have to look around, Audiobahn subs are always on eBay and they usually have a good power handling and their sister company MA Audio tends to have good stuff as well(I sell these myself heh) MTX is a nice brand but you'll probally pay a lot retail off the shelf at Circut City and the same for Best Buy with the Rockfords just because everyone knows the name. This is a personal preference thing and a lot of people don't like them but a lot swear by them, you might want to look at the Bazooka basstubes, they aren't bad sounding, true they are better for smaller cars like hatchbacks, but it might be worth looking into, because you can get the non slave tubes with the amps built in and they sound good. Let us know what you decide, and if you have a question about a particular model let me know most of the time I can get it at dealer cost.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Heres what I say....

Get some MTX's........ in my opinion they have the best sound.. and quality. Plus they are under-rated.... they say they can handle 300w? Wrong.. the can actually hit up to 375 to 400.

The more powerful the amp, also the more kick the sub has..as well as excellent sound and quality. I would say, got 10% to 15% for power than your speakers can handle, this doesnt mean ur gonna blow the speakers (if ur careful) but they will sound good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1382287688 2 channel Amp, 1000w, $77$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1381604403 4 channel, 1000w+remote, $85$

Good deals trust me

·
Registered
323 Posts
PrOxLaMuS© said:
Heres what I say....

Get some MTX's........ in my opinion they have the best sound.. and quality. Plus they are under-rated.... they say they can handle 300w? Wrong.. the can actually hit up to 375 to 400.

The more powerful the amp, also the more kick the sub has..as well as excellent sound and quality. I would say, got 10% to 15% for power than your speakers can handle, this doesnt mean ur gonna blow the speakers (if ur careful) but they will sound good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1382287688 2 channel Amp, 1000w, $77$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1381604403 4 channel, 1000w+remote, $85$

Good deals trust me
If you get a Legacy amp I will infact want to shoot you, do not trust an idiot pointing you to a proven bad amp, do you know I see on average 2 or 3 of these a week that have blown out, caught on fire or just plain died. Proxlamus, you would do better to not give advice in this situation, your right an MTX sub can handle more than 300w, hell it could handle 2000 watts for a split second right before it burnt up and you had to buy another one, forcing turkey through a PVC pipe doesn't work, and these is what you do when you try to run too much power to a sub rated only so high. Don't, DO NOT, buy a legacy amp, and don't push your limits on a sub unless you have the money to buy two.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Upgrading Alt and Battery

selrider99 said:
ok help me here can i upgrade my alt... so i can upgrade the battery....
You can upgrade your alternator...really just depends on how much you are looking to spend. And as far as upgrading your battery...I would highly recommend that. Get yourself an Optima Red Top or Yellow Top battery. The red usually retails around $120 or so and the yellow at $170 (at least around here).

Another simple mod that will yeild results is simply upgrading the 10 gauge wire that comes from your alternator to the battery with 4 gauge or 1/0 wire...and do the same for your ground. I did that, and I gained an average of 1.5 volts with full system running. It may not sound like a lot, but if you have an amp with a regulated power supply...that 1.5 volts can make a huge difference (especially if you take the advice of PrOxLaMuS© getting an MTX amp that is rated at 35 watts x 2 at 12.5 volts and 85 watts x 2 at 14.4 volts). And believe me...in most imports, your voltage will fluctuate like the wind.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
145 Posts
kinda off subject, but is there any way to reduce impadence on a single sub without having to wire them parallel? reason i'm asking is i just got an eclipse 15", but it's 8 ohm. it would cost me a fortune to get some power to that thing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lowering Impedance of sub

200sxpower said:
kinda off subject, but is there any way to reduce impadence on a single sub without having to wire them parallel? reason i'm asking is i just got an eclipse 15", but it's 8 ohm. it would cost me a fortune to get some power to that thing.
You can in fact lower the impedance of a subwoofer simply by adding a resistor in line between the sub and the amp. You will most likely obtain the same sound though because the added resistor will waste power due to heat. Your amp will be putting out more power with a resistor in line...but your sub will still recieve about the same power...not really worth the trouble

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
selrider99 said:

My question is would 1 10" sub be enough to give me nice bass without ripping the trunk apart?
one 10" sub is never enough!! at least not for me. i wouldnt suggest doing what i did if you want your car to stay in one peice though...... with my four tens the black plastic thing that goes over the key lock has fallen off, oh shit handle has fallen off, rear spoiler is loose as hell, blown out two window seals (and at comp a freind ran up and pushed on my rear window, said it was flexing like three inches, and this is whith the windows all the way down!! can hear me for a good half mile though (if not more)

i would suggest two 10" subs and a good 500watt amp. oh and dynamat the whole trunk.;)

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
damn when are you getting a plexi window done?

this dude over here with a cougar the a plexi in the back... he was pushing 6 12's

24 in the back seat and 2 in the trunk....crazy shit... he blew out his winow 3 times...lol

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
ill get plexi when it breaks! lol. i only turn the gain up on the amp when im at comp. right now its sitting at about 1/10th of the way, my rear window only moves a little right now, and i still get complimented on how loud it is..... especialy by cops who like it so much they hand me a $81.00 fine every month.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
true, oh how true!! lol. havent seen many civics flex there back window though..... must be good glass!!! lol.

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
btw how the hell to you keep power to all those things....amp subs ect...?

I just want a nice clean sound with a little shake without killing the battery

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
bone stock!! im going to invest in some caps...... head lights at night dim almost all the way out, im told i need a second battery and a bigger alternator. oh and when i get home after iv'e been pounding for a while i let my car sit at idle for a good 15 min. with everything off.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
two subs and a five hundred watt amp like i suggested you should be ok maybe a 1 fared cap to keep the sound clean.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
a freind of mine has them and i think its only good for an ass massage.

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
The under seat subs are a complete waste of money in my opinion. No quality bass at all.
You might also want to look into either a 5 or 6 channel amp. I am currently running a 5 channel amp (which is a lot lighter than my 2-amp, x-over, multiple cable set-up I was running) that has crossovers for all channels built in. Simple set-up for me since it's just 2 power wires, 2 grounds, the RCA's, and wire up all speakers, mount the SINGLE amp (space savings i.e. weight reduction), and get a nice sub or two. In my set-up, I have the amp in the spare tire well, and when the need for speed arises (track duty), I just remove the box and I'm light again. It worked out very well for me and does not slow the car down much at all. BTW, the less weight you put back there, the less the rear end sags down. Hope this helps.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts