Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to setup a nice sounding audio system....
My question is would 1 10" sub be enough to give me nice bass without ripping the trunk apart? Also what type of power will I need amp wise to handle say a 300-400w amp?

What I have now is

2 5 1/4" chrome shit speakers in the door with 2 6x9 3 way jbl's in the back.... pioneer deck 6400 ....

·
Niss-Nut
160 Posts
First thing you need to know is what you want .
Do you want a multi amp system ,are you upgrading any existing speakers ?
Do you want a clean all around system or just spls (heavy bass) ?

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would like clean with nice bass....
I don't need the whole car shaking.

So
I would need a multi channel amp if I wanted to hook my speakers up to it as well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
10" will probably be plenty for you. I have found that the Infinity Basslink not only produces a clean sound, but is easy to install. It actually had less of a distorted sound than my brother's 12" in a box and kicked just about as hard.

·
Niss-Nut
160 Posts
Well basically you need 2 amps for a clean all around system. A 4 channel amp for the door and rear speakers and a 2 channel thats bridgeable to one channel (or a mono amp if you can aford one) for the sub(s).
There are some 5 channel amps out there but they dont offer enough power for me, plus they can be bulky which limits your mounting options.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What to get?

I would highly recommend that you listen to those Pioneer subs you were looking at before buying them. In my opinion...they just plain suck. You would be much better off getting a single good quality sub rather than the two mediocre at best subs. Look at a JL 12W0, Alpine Type R (SWS1241D), or even a single Kicker CompVR sub (01C12VR2). You will be much happier with any of these single subs than you would with two of those Pioneers. I used to install at a shop which sold the Pioneer subs...and I'd say about 80% of them were returned because they didn't perform like the customer wanted them to (but what do you really expect from a $45 sub???).

The most important part of a subwoofer is the enclosure it is installed in. You can have the most expensive sub out there...but if it is in the wrong size box...it will sound just a good as the cheapest $10 sub you can find.

Since you already have a nice radio, you should be able to find a great sounding system for $500. I would focus on your front stage as far a speakers go. Get a good set of component speakers. Don't focus too much on your rear speakers (but don't neglect them either) as you will be primarilly using them for fill. (I happen to have a set or two of Polk Audio DX3065 components and a set of DX6's for sale if you are interested (6 1/2" components and 6 1/2" coaxial). Get a nice 5 channel amp and your good to go.:)

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i mean as long as my speaker hit good i don't need a sub...
so i guess i would have to get rid of the door speakers and get a 4 ch amp...
but how big of a amp do i need?

my rear speakers are jbl 6x9 3way 200w...

nice magnet 2 about 2-21/2"

·
Niss-Nut
160 Posts
The 200watt rating is a little:) overated .
Your jbls can probalbly handle about 30 to 50 watts of constant power.

look for a four channel amp with a range of about 40w per channel .
I know you may want to be brand loyal but Pioneer subs do suck.
Kicker comp subs are good value for your money and they can work in variety of enclosures.You can get a 10" comp for about $79.99 (rated for 125 to 250watts per voice coil) and a 10' comp vr for $119.99 (150-300watts).

These are dual voice coil speakers meaning they are like 2 speakers built into one unit but they roughly equal one and a half .
By using a DVC sub you can build a box for 1 sub and get the results of a big box with 2 subs.

·
Niss-Nut
160 Posts
BTW Selrider your door speakers are 6 3/4" with a maximum mounting depth of 2 7/16" . When you upgrade them it may be easier to remove one from the door for a comparisson with the new speakers .

·
Registered
339 Posts
DVC Sub???

infrared said:
The 200watt rating is a little:) overated .
Your jbls can probalbly handle about 30 to 50 watts of constant power.

look for a four channel amp with a range of about 40w per channel .
I know you may want to be brand loyal but Pioneer subs do suck.
Kicker comp subs are good value for your money and they can work in variety of enclosures.You can get a 10" comp for about $79.99 (rated for 125 to 250watts per voice coil) and a 10' comp vr for $119.99 (150-300watts).

These are dual voice coil speakers meaning they are like 2 speakers built into one unit but they roughly equal one and a half .
By using a DVC sub you can build a box for 1 sub and get the results of a big box with 2 subs.
Those JBL's may be able to handle much more power than that. It really depends on what series speakers they are. If they are the Power Series speakers...you can safely feed them 100+ watts RMS.

And as far as DVC's go...I think you are a little confused. It is nothing like to speakers built into one. It simply has dual connections. There is not difference between a single voice coil sub and a dual voice coil sub in and of itself. If you were to give both the same amount of power, in the same box, and in the same car...they would sound the same. It is not like a sub and a half. The only difference between the two is that with a DVC sub, you have different wiring options. For example, a dual 4 ohm sub can be wired to an amp at either an 8 ohm or 2 ohm load. And the Kicker Comp VR subs are rated about 250 watts RMS total...not 250 watts RMS per voice coil. :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts