Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to have intermittent wipers? Is it just the amplifier under the hood and a new combo switch ? any wiring have to be done or does it just plug in? Thanks

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
for adjustable intermittent wipers for sentras, the parts u need for the swap can be taken from the 87-91 pathfinder. u need the amp and the switch. the amp is brown and the combo switch matches your turn signal switch perfectly. be sure to get the bracket that holds the amp to the firewall, if u dont have an existing bracket. pulsars and sentra XE's have the bracket u need.

DO NOT get parts from a stanza. the switch looks identical, but its wired completely different. the amp is wrong too, and is gray in color.

probably a good idea never to get electrical parts from a stanza unless u r absolutely 100% sure they r wired the same... dont make the same mistake i did.

on 1988 and earlier sentras, the wiper amp sits on the passenger-side firewall. 89-90 cars have the amp on the driver's side.

if your car came with no intermittent feature, the 7-pin amp connector is connected to a dead-end piggyback ground. simply disconnect the connector and plug it into the amp.

if your sentra has the XE 'ghetto' intermittent amp, unplug it, and hook up the new amp.

switch bolts on. no muss no fuss, done deal.
the end.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I completed this swap a few months ago, just the new wiper switch and the module under the hood, they work good, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
751 Posts
SuperStock said:
there r 2 types of intermittent wipers. one is on the sport coupe and sedan XE. it is a pre-set intermittent, with no adjustability.
NOT
The wiper switch in my SE coup is adjustable. It has 3 intermitten speed settings.
Of wich is starting to fail. Sometimes the intermitten part works fine and other times it wipes like every 5 or 10 minutes or whenever IT feels like it. This happened in my work truck last year (Ford) and they replaced the wiper motor to fix it. The Nissan has a module to control the delay??

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
Popkorn said:
NOT
The wiper switch in my SE coup is adjustable. It has 3 intermitten speed settings.
Of wich is starting to fail. Sometimes the intermitten part works fine and other times it wipes like every 5 or 10 minutes or whenever IT feels like it. This happened in my work truck last year (Ford) and they replaced the wiper motor to fix it. The Nissan has a module to control the delay??
NOT? mmmkay.

yes u have a wiper amp. yes it controls delay.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
All you need is the aforementioned amplifier (The brown box under the hood, towards the back), the switch for the steering column...and an extra length of wire between the amp and switch's extra terminals. Also, a wiring diagram helps.

I posted this swap somewhere in full detail...I lost track of it.

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
i looked at the 1989 fsm, and it tells me all u need is the switch and the amp. the wiring is the exact same, between intermittent and base setups. the plug for the amp is just chillin there in the base car w/o int. the int. switch plugs into the existing connector on the steering column. done deal.

plug n play. i know of 2 people who have done it already, with no drama

i just have to get the goddamned parts myself, and its turning out to be a PITA.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on my 90 sentra all I did was replace the wiper switch, remove the jumper from the plug under the hood and plug in the wiper amplifier, done all is well

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
You're right; It's fairly effortless, except for adding on the extra wire between the switch and the amplifier which deals with the delay. Best part: My conversion only cost $6 (Your price may vary...LOL).

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't know what extra wire your talking about, I didn't add any extra wire and it works fine

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
So if my sport coupe already has the itermitent wipers but I want full vairiable wipers all I need is the switch from a GXE stanza or sentra? Keep the upgrades coming soon we will have a mini book on easy upgrades. Now who knows how to put in cruise??

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
mille-16i said:
So if my sport coupe already has the itermitent wipers but I want full vairiable wipers all I need is the switch [and amp] from a GXE stanza or sentra?
sorry to mislead u about Stanzas, but they will not work.

get the parts from a pathfinder. if u have any questions regarding compatibility, i'll send u the wiper diagram for the pathfinder. if u manage to find a sentra GXE, send me a PM. there r many other options the sentra GXE has that u may wanna snag.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got the parts I needed from the junk yard, wiper amplifier came out of a sentra wagon ( older I think) but it works,

·
Registered
118 Posts
So are there any other cars that work to get parts from?? Not too many pathfinders around here.

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
SENTRASER said:
So are there any other cars that work to get parts from?? Not too many pathfinders around here.
I did the swap about a year ago, and as I remember you can get the setup from a 88 pulsar NX with the CA18de also. I also recall but am not absolutly shure that the controll box from a Maxima would work. I have a spare control box from the Pathfinder sitting around, PM me if interisted, I would only want like $5 + shipping, all you would need from there would be the wiper switch from the steering column off a pathfinder or Pulsar NX.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts