Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing is all over the place. I have replaced timng chains, etc, lined them up correctly, distributor, cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, pcv valve, clt temp, iac....

Still the car runs with timing all over the place. Is there any other sensor that aids in the timing control?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The ECU sets the timing. To adjust the timing you need to get the ECU in "Timing Mode" or the timing will be all over the place because the ECU is continuously adjusting it.

Here is the procedure.

Lew

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
My timing is all over the place. I have replaced timng chains, etc, lined them up correctly, distributor, cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, pcv valve, clt temp, iac....

Still the car runs with timing all over the place. Is there any other sensor that aids in the timing control?
You sure you are checking it correctly? If you don't follow the directions to a tee then you won't get an accurate reading. That said, I imagine a worn distributor shaft would cause those problems. Check the play in the distributor shaft and compare it to the FSM specs. Make sure the distributor bolts are torqued to spec. Also, make sure you can see the marks on the pulley. I used white paint to mark the notches so I could see them better. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Well, the problem I have is that the dist is already at maximum adjustment. If I adjust it down some, the car will not even run. This would leave one to believe the timing is off, but it isn't, I just did the timing chain myself and I know that all the dots lined up. I drove the car hard, and the catalytic convertor was glowing red, so I know that the timing problem is causing it to run real rich, throwing raw fuel into the cat.

It has a new dist. I am thinking about taking it back and getting a replacement because maybe the dist is bad since it seems to be the only other thing that could cause the problem.

I will put it into timing mode as suggested though so that I can rule out any ecu problems and concentrate only on the dist.

to summerize though, there are no other sensors that affect timing?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
Thanks guys. Well, the problem I have is that the dist is already at maximum adjustment. If I adjust it down some, the car will not even run. This would leave one to believe the timing is off, but it isn't, I just did the timing chain myself and I know that all the dots lined up. I drove the car hard, and the catalytic convertor was glowing red, so I know that the timing problem is causing it to run real rich, throwing raw fuel into the cat.

It has a new dist. I am thinking about taking it back and getting a replacement because maybe the dist is bad since it seems to be the only other thing that could cause the problem.

I will put it into timing mode as suggested though so that I can rule out any ecu problems and concentrate only on the dist.

to summerize though, there are no other sensors that affect timing?

Thanks a bunch
If you check the timing by setting the ECU in timing mode, and the distributor is still at maximum adjustment, this is usually due to the timing chain skipping a tooth or two on the exhaust cam or being improperly installed.

Lew

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I just started it up, let it warm up, and threw the timing light on it once it stated running like crap. It took about a munute or two for the idle to fall from 1000 to 650, and then it started running bad. It will vary in rpm from about 200 to 800 when sitting there. If you look at the timing (Without putting it in timing mode) the timing is all over the place. Sometimes off so far the notches disappear (Yes I have the notches painted -- good tip btw)

I realize that it should probably be in timing mode, but still, shouldn't the timing be closer than that? I'm guessing I vary by +/- 10 degrees, and keep in mind that's with the dist at max adjustment. Bringing the adjustment down will stall the car.

If the exhaust cam was off, wouldn;t I see a steady, yet off, reading? When I put it all back together though I checked every mark on the chains and sprockets and the engine was at TDC.

Is the timing varying because the computer is trying to keep it from stalling? and will putting it in timing mode prevent the ECM from making ANY adjustments?

I'm thinking about returning my dist. and seeing if the next one works better. I am fairly confident that the timing is right on.

Thanks for the suggestions, and pleas keep 'em coming.

James -- I used to live in Irvine. :cool: Right at Jeffrey & the 5 fwy (The apartments by Albertsons)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is it possible that when you installed the distributor you put it in "out of phase"? I am thinking what Lew said is sounding right.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
you need to do the TPS and the timing mode portion of it. I have seen it jump 7-8 degrees from the TPS sensor being plugged in and a couple degrees everytime the fan comes on.

i'm off culver and Irvine Blvd. where you l ive now? perhaps just pm me to keep this on topic.

oh you can't install it out of phase and still run at all. the way it lines up in there it can only be 180 degrees out of phase.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
also when you did the timing chain between each dot there should only be so many links inbetween them. from cam to cam theres only 16 links from exauhst cam to the idler sproket theres only 16 link. from idler sproket to intake cam theres 22links. thats a must cause if your one link off it will run like crap. pluss i have had all kinds of problems with my ingition timing and just when i figured it out i spun a connecting rod bearing

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Skoodles, I didn't count them, however I used the OEM Nissan stuff, so, for the top chain, there was a painted yellow link, and two silver colored links. I put the yellow link on the idler and the two silver links on the cams.

This weekend when I get home I will put it into timing mode and try to straighten it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thanks to all I found out that my new distributor was bad. Since I knew the timing chain was correct, and it was in timing mode (It stayed rock solid -- thanks for the tips) but at max adjustment, the BEST I could do was 0*. So I angrily took the dist back to auozone and got another one. I figured just in case this new one was correct, I didn;t put it back on at max adjustment. To my surprise, at half adjustment I was something like 20*, so I had easily enough room to bring it back down to about 9-10*. (I don't want to use premium fuel, this is my 120 mile a day driver)

Interistingly enough, at first I thought that I had two problems, because once I plugged the TPS back in, it started to run like crap again. However it purrs like a kitten now that the new dist is in, it's timed, and the TPS is plugged in.

I still noticed that the cat got pretty red whilst driving pretty hard on it. I am hoping that it is just reminant fuel from it running so bad before. I did get a MIL light, of which were lots of things I had messed with while trying to troubleshoot. I cleared the computer and today I'm going to drive around a bit and check the ECU later. Thanks for all the help guys :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts