Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me out, what causes mass air flow sensor....

and an intake valve to go bad?? I've already had the recalls done and had the computer replaced. I own a 2000 Nissan sentra GXE. Thanks!

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
the MAF really shouldn't go bad unless you put an intake on and did something wrong or something.

intake valve?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what happened. Ihad the recalls done (foam insultatio removed from the ECM holder and the cam and crank sensors replaced.) Then two days later my car was constantly stalling out, the last time it stalled out I had not power steering or brakes. I had my car towed to nissan and they said it was the whole computer system. It was fried but under warranty. (Good!) But when the parts came in it still wasn't working and Nissan said it was the Mass air flow sensor and intake valve?!? And it's not under warranty. They also said that it was because of an aftermarket air filter. I don't understand how cars work. Please help me out. Thank you. By the way, my boyfriend did some research on the air filter and it is compatible for my car. I have a 2000 nissan sentra gxe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
sounds like foreign material damage. MAFs are sensitive to dirt and debris due to their design. i also imagine that an intake valve is as well. i would make sure my intake was well sealed and that i had a clean filter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the technician or even your boyfriend could have improperly installed the air filter causing it to intak dirt or debris.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it possible for water to get in there? I'm sorry I know nothing about cars. Thank you for helping me out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
it is possible if the box w/the box the filter is in were not sealed properly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
im not sure, most likely not. i wish i could be of more assitance, but it really sounds like something got into the intake pipe and consequntly into the engine. although from my perspective in Florida i cant be sure

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
the maf in this car is ridiculously weak, your new filter might have had a bit too much oil on it which ended up getting on the maf, it's really hard to say. I had an aftermarket intake on my car for about a year and a half and then 2 weeks ago my maf up and died on me while I was driving. Ended up having to spend $200 for a new one and it works fine now, but it was pretty retarded.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
well I don't know how much the intake valve is, but I doubt it's $500

the MAF is $500 from the dealer, and I got it for $200 through another shop. It was an OEM Nissan MAF, brand new, exactly like what you would have got through the dealer. So assuming the intake valve accounts for the other $200 from the dealer, you could probably get the pair and install them yourself for $3-400 or so

·
Registered
89 Posts
The MAF your man could probaly replace, but the intake valve will require a skilled pro to replace it properly. is the dealer charging $700 for parts alone or does that cover labor also?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts