Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people wasup, im new to this board. I am going to get a 96 sentra GXE 5 speed from my brother and was wondering what I could do to this car. Comments, suggestions are welcome. Please point me in the direction of performance as well as appearance.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
There are alot of things you can do with this car. You can start by Exhaust, Headers , Intake and Pulleys but if you want to start big u can do a full SR20DET swap from japan. On stylin there are plenty of body kits out there and for tail lights there are clear tails, chrome or smoke 2 peice altezza and also a Chrome 3 Piece. i can pretty much get all those parts for you if you are interested.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Well,
There are generally 2 directions to go. Get the power you want, or get the car to drive the way you want.

For the former get exhaust, intake, headers, and do the cheapo throttlebody mod (ECU and extrude hone are good but $$$).
For the latter (and equal cost) get a new suspension, (springs and struts), and add strut and sway bars.

Pulleys I dont reccomend and urethane bushings I dont reccomend. Mainly because they reduce the 'everydayness' of the car. Yes it will perform better, but at what cost?

I assume you have the disc/drum setup. For about $400 or less you can get bigger front brakes that 'bolt' on. You can do this independent of both of the above 'directions', however the larger discs wont fit under the factory steelies. With regard to rims, I would invest in a good suspension before rims. Because you can play with rubber choices, sidewall height, and rim weight after you're comfortable with the 'ride' of the car.

Seth

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car already has 17" 8 spoke Enkei rims. I believe it has been dropped already by 2". Its not much of an aggresive drop. Im new to Nissans so I dont know much about them. What else could I do to it? Other websites that could help me

G

·
0 Posts
the cheapo throttlbody mod?

tell me more man
sethwas said:
Well,
There are generally 2 directions to go. Get the power you want, or get the car to drive the way you want.

For the former get exhaust, intake, headers, and do the cheapo throttlebody mod (ECU and extrude hone are good but $$$).
For the latter (and equal cost) get a new suspension, (springs and struts), and add strut and sway bars.

Pulleys I dont reccomend and urethane bushings I dont reccomend. Mainly because they reduce the 'everydayness' of the car. Yes it will perform better, but at what cost?

I assume you have the disc/drum setup. For about $400 or less you can get bigger front brakes that 'bolt' on. You can do this independent of both of the above 'directions', however the larger discs wont fit under the factory steelies. With regard to rims, I would invest in a good suspension before rims. Because you can play with rubber choices, sidewall height, and rim weight after you're comfortable with the 'ride' of the car.

Seth

·
0 Posts
Pulleys

I recommend pulleys as an early HP upgrade. Contrary to some opinions (not a flame), they do not reduce the everyday drivability of the car, at least not on an SE-R. All the Unorthodox Racing pulleys (the only ones I would personally use) do is take some weight off the crankshaft pulley and underdrive the crankpulley by a small degree.

I drive my car 50mi everyday in GA summer heat w/ no problems whatsoever. This includes running the A/C & a 500W stereo system at the same time. And, as anyone around Atlanta can attest, you can't go anywhere w/o sitting in traffic. No overheating, no power drains - I heartily recommend them.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Pulleys

96BlkSE-R said:
I recommend pulleys as an early HP upgrade. Contrary to some opinions (not a flame), they do not reduce the everyday drivability of the car, at least not on an SE-R. All the Unorthodox Racing pulleys (the only ones I would personally use) do is take some weight off the crankshaft pulley and underdrive the crankpulley by a small degree.
First he says " as an early HP upgrade" then he says all they do is take some weight off" You contradict yourself. I think you meant to say that the lighter pulleys free up horsepower and do not reduce the everyday driveability of the car.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
I guess on an SE-R the pulleys may not make a noticeable difference, but thats because you have an SE-R. I'm sure on a GA16DE engine (where the turning off the A/C alone can be considered a performance mod) it may make a difference. However, I could be wrong.

Seth

P.S. The cheapo throttlebody mod is on sentra.net

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Pulleys

Teknokid said:

I think you meant to say that the lighter pulleys free up horsepower and do not reduce the everyday driveability of the car.
EXACTLY. Now why couldn't I say that? :eek:

All the UR pulleys do is free up HP that is already being produced by the engine. And I never said they didn't make a BIG difference on the SOTP dyno, especially above 5k RPM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts