Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do a motor swap from the GA to the SR and I wanted to know if there was a difference in the SR's at all or if a '91 SR20 will be the same as like a 95-99?? thanks for the help, also if you have any advice for internal parts as I will be rebuilding it if it will work, and I'm looking for more power and to be ready for either nitrous ora turbo kit later on. thanks for the help and any advice I appreciate the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
the only difference i am aware of is an intake port location. on a 91-93 sr20de it is higher, and a 95-99 has a lower port. this should only effect an aftermarket intake. i could be wrong though, so hold out for someone with more knowledge to reply

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
The intake cam on the earlier engines was more agressive as well as the difference in intake manifolds and port location. If the throttle body is low, it is a high port head, if the throttle body is high it's a low port head.

·
Registered
379 Posts
There are many variations of the FWD SR20DE engines in the US. AFAIK: 91-93, 94, 95-97, 98-99, 2000-2001
Every change seemed to be purely for emissions. I'd go with a '93 since it has the least amount of emissions crap and the youngest of arguably the most powerful of the variations.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hawaii_SE-R said:
There are many variations of the FWD SR20DE engines in the US. AFAIK: 91-93, 94, 95-97, 98-99, 2000-2001
Every change seemed to be purely for emissions. I'd go with a '93 since it has the least amount of emissions crap and the youngest of arguably the most powerful of the variations.
True, but the have increased the HP on late models. For example if you get a +1997 SR Primera GT engine you get 150HP for starters.

Good luck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
CarloSR said:
True, but the have increased the HP on late models. For example if you get a +1997 SR Primera GT engine you get 150HP for starters.
The mass majority of SR20DE engines outside of the US has remained pretty much unchanged between 1990 and 1999. The 150HP you see advertised is a result of the higher quality of JDM gasoline as well as fewer emission thingies not to mention that US HP is different than the measurement used in other parts of the world. BTW, the JDM 1991 SR20DE was also rated at 150(however they measure power).

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
1 JIS horsepower = 0.98 SAE net horsepower. Non-U.S. SR20s usually have 1/2 point higher compression plus they don't suffer the emissions regulations we do.

The primary difference is '91-'93 has high-port head whereas later engines have low-port head. Turbo engines have oil squirters and a slightly different oil pump.

Theoretically, the high-port head can make more ultimate power due to the straighter intake path but street engines don't realize any difference.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oops. Forgot about the higher compression as well as the slick OEM exhaust manifold.

BTW, just rembered, JDM engines are rated as PS whereas US-spec is rated as HP. I do know that 1PS is not equivalant to 1HP.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hawaii_SE-R said:
The mass majority of SR20DE engines outside of the US has remained pretty much unchanged between 1990 and 1999.
You get a 10WHP, again, 10WHP on differents SR20DEs.

Hawaii_SE-R said:
The 150HP you see advertised is a result of the higher quality of JDM gasoline as well as fewer emission thingies
That´s the result of different intake (cams, t boddies), ECU and exaust.

Hawaii_SE-R said:
not to mention that US HP is different than the measurement used in other parts of the world. BTW, the JDM 1991 SR20DE was also rated at 150(however they measure power). [/B]
True, but like i said you can get 10WHP on differents SR.

bahearn[/i] The primary difference is '91-'93 has high-port head whereas later engines have low-port head. Turbo engines have oil squirters and a slightly different oil pump. Theoretically said:
Oops. Forgot about the higher compression as well as the slick OEM exhaust manifold.

BTW, just rembered, JDM engines are rated as PS whereas US-spec is rated as HP. I do know that 1PS is not equivalant to 1HP.[/B]
True.

I´m adding info, don´t think anything else.

·
Registered
379 Posts
CarloSR said:
You get a 10WHP, again, 10WHP on differents SR20DEs.
And exactly how much WHP does your SR20DE give?

CarloSR said:
I´m adding info, don´t think anything else.
Um . . . ok. So by your answers and your intial post on this subject, I take it you believe that your '97 SR20DE Primera makes 10 more WHP than say a '91 SR20DE Primera from the same manufacturing plant (I assume from Japan).

BTW, since the original question was about US SR20DE engines, in the US, it is beleived that the '91-'93 SR20DE engines were the most potent of all the SR20DE engines sold in US vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts