Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im new to the forums here, i recently bought a 91' sentra XE and put on an intake, and some grounding wires (which really work damn good)

anyways my newbie question is, what are mods that kill gas? im 16 and im pretty damn poor and i dont really wanna kill my gas mileage, which is pretty damn good right now.

oh yeah, and anyone have a link to make a ghetto-homemade cold-air intake extension for 91' sentra xe?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
mods don't kill mileage unless you have a heavy foot.

if you're only 16, I say don't mod the car for a few years. don't waste the money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want a ghetto cold air intake, look on eBay for one. They usually run about 25-45 bucks. Just make sure there is a hook up for the pipe specifically made for the ga16de. I had one and then I realized I never had the right hook up so I sold it. So I dont know if those intakes work too well but you did say cheap.

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah another newbie question, if im installing a cai on my b13 sentra, do i have to take off the fender or the front bumper to put on the filter or whatever?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
wow.. no just the air box and stock pipes and as for gas guzzling upgrades , gas is mainly used when u acelerate so the more your flooring it around town like comin up on a light thats red and u floor it anyway even thouh it will be red when u get there, then thats the major problem. so unless u put gigantic rims on that are way to heavy or a turbo or anything like that u should be fine if you just cruise

·
Registered
65 Posts
Skip the big 16" or 17" wheels.

They weigh 20 - 28 lbs each(depending on brand) versus about 16lbs each for your stock steelie 13" or stock SE-R, or NX aluminum 14" (if you pick up a set).
Remember- ---1 lb of rotating mass = 10 lbs of static mass...
so...
if you add 12 lb to each corner (with the huge rims), it's really like adding 120lbs x 4 or 480 lbs of extra mass for your car to accelerate.

To check how this helps fuel economy and acceleration, just put 6 -- 80 lb salt bags in your trunk and drive around for a few weeks.

You will also note the incredible ride punishment the huge rims will give your butt (and stock struts).

Save your money on the rims and get a header, CAI and decent exhaust. That will give you better MPG (if you stay off it) AND better performance!

Synthetic oil in the manual tranny is a good thing, too.

I admit, the huge rims do LOOK COOL.

It's all about priorities, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I kept track of highway mileage as I started modifying my car at 11,000 miles.
Stock it got 28-30mpg at 65mph.

I added a PR CAI and JWT POPcharger first which did not affect the mileage.

I then added a HotShot header (G2) and GReddy cat-back. This made off-the-line acceleration poorer (auto trans), but noticably better acceleration on the highway (mid-high rpm). Mileage at 65mph was again unaffected.

I then added the JWT ECU. Low end power and throttle response were improved, and the 65mph mileage was still about the same.

I then added JWT cams (S2) and had the ECU reprogrammed. Low end power was somewhat worse, but mid-high rpm was significantly better. Mileage dropped to 25-26mpg at 65mph.

In 2000 I went turbo expecting the cruising mileage to decrease. I took JWT's advice and rephased the cams to reduce the overlap to make the engine more detonation resistant. Mileage with the turbo setup is now 30-32mpg at 65mph.

I'm not going to try to explain all this. It's just what I observed.

Lew

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i want to install a muffler, do i have to cut my exhaust system and weld stuff on?

and also, if i need to install a cai, do i take off the front bumper ?

another question, my sentra like starts shaking at like 80 miles per hour on the freeway. if i get more horsepower in my car, will it be like less shaky at 80 miles per hour, (because if my engine is stronger maybe it can handle it better). but right now if i like go over 80, whats the worst thing than can happen to my car?

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah, heres some pics of my sentra so far things ive done to it:

-installed intake
-took off some rear emblems
-took off these retard ass "racing stripes" on the side of my car that used to be there (couple hours with a blowdryer got it all off)
-installed some grounding wire (not in the pics yet)

oh yeah, i was walking in the street one day, found a shiny ass hubcap and put it on ahahah

do you guys suggest i find two more extra stock sentra hubcaps, or get some like whitehubcaps i found on ebay :p

thanks a lot for the responses too guys, you make a newbie like me feel very welcomed ^^

·
Registered
851 Posts
respray paint the steelies black.

i love black steelies :love:

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
RBI*04 said:
respray paint the steelies black.

i love black steelies :love:
I'll second that. Also, don't get those cheap shiny hubcaps they sell at walmart. Either stock hubcaps, no hubcaps, or rims. It's just my opinion but I think shiny hubcaps look stupid. It's a typical rice add on for people who can't afford real rims. Other than that it looks good. Engine bay looks really clean. Mine looks like crap cuz no one before me took good care of the car. Keep up the good work and when you ain't sure of something always direct your question here.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
very clean i like it but i also third the suggestion of huckin those hub caps into the garbage or sell them to some dumb kid and just spray pain the steelies black i think they look awsome like that orrr try to find some stock se-r rims unless u wanna be a super sleeper with stockys btw what size tire is that all specs plz

·
Registered
851 Posts
i'll third or fourth the "stock hubcaps, no hubcaps or rims" idea :)

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Slacky said:
very clean i like it but i also third the suggestion of huckin those hub caps into the garbage or sell them to some dumb kid and just spray pain the steelies black i think they look awsome like that orrr try to find some stock se-r rims unless u wanna be a super sleeper with stockys btw what size tire is that all specs plz
Slow down turbo, try to make more than one sentence.
Itsjustreallyhardtoreadstuffwhenitsallbunchedtogether.

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yeah a question for you pros: my sentra starts shaking at 75, so if i get more horsepower in my car, will that mean my car wont shake at like around 75, (because if i have more horsepower it won't be as hard for the car to go that fast)

oh yeah and i decided to go for the black steelies look ^^. i did it on my "shiny hubcap side" and it looks pretty good so far... only that im running out of black spraypaint.

and im also thinking about respraying my faded black side-markers, i just have to be careful not to mess up and spray the rest of my car :/

or is it a better idea just to remove the side-markers and spray them individually?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ekizz said:
oh yeah a question for you pros: my sentra starts shaking at 75, so if i get more horsepower in my car, will that mean my car wont shake at like around 75, (because if i have more horsepower it won't be as hard for the car to go that fast)
If your Sentra starts shaking at 75 you have either allignment issues or unbalanced tires that need to be fixed. I have that exact same car and it is completely stock and it doesnt shake at all, even over 100. If your tires are pretty old and dry-rotted, you might want to change them for the sake of safety anyways, and if your car still shakes after new tires and an alignment, you have more serious issues...ie bent rim, off center hub, etc..

·
4 door beast
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aww shiet, how much does it cost to balance your tires or fix the alignment?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts