Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i accelerate, i hear this weird rattle/tick noise once in a while. never when going fast though (or maybe i cant hear it).

when it does make that sound, some smoke can be seen coming out of the tail pipe, looks white/blueish..

only time the smoke comes out is when the noise is heard.

any idea what this might be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
a rattle type noise from the engine could be that the engine is " pinging ".. pre-ignition.... this will occur when the engine is under load, mainly when accelerating or going up hills etc! there are lots of causes for engine ping.. but what i find most of the time, poor quality fuel is the reason! also to look out for.. fouled injectors, causing engine to " lean out ", bringing up combustion temp , hence the ping! incorrect spark plugs fitted, engine overheating, etc etc! unless of course the rattle is just a loose heat shield or so on the engine pipe/exhaust.. and the smoke is just there 'cos the engine maybe a bit worn, where some smoke out the pipe would be considered normal!

·
Registered
26 Posts
ifoam said:
when i accelerate, i hear this weird rattle/tick noise once in a while. never when going fast though (or maybe i cant hear it).

when it does make that sound, some smoke can be seen coming out of the tail pipe, looks white/blueish..

only time the smoke comes out is when the noise is heard.

any idea what this might be?

My experience is that the sound is the pinking sound. Cause by either your ignition timing too high or too low, or your fuel RON is too low. My ex-engine have the same problem.... That results in a damaged piston rings. Your engine oil level should be dropping in that case. A change in piston rings and valve seals are advisable. If you never have any hardcore mod to your ride, changing the piston rings will be good enough as the piston lining should not damage.

Hope that will help :)

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
the most common problem with engine rattle that i kno of has ben the timing chain tensioner. does your car make the noise while reving. if so pop the hood get like a hammer for a pipe or something and start beating the crap out of hte motor till it stops...j/k actualy put what ever you got toward the front of the motor where the cam gears are and put your ear against it and pull on the throttle cable if you hear the rattle there and it gets louder its most likley the chain tensioner they go out pretty easily cause nissan doesnt thing about what a metal chain will do to plastic.. try that hope it works the job isnt too bad to do unless theres more like a stretched chain or damaged idler sprocket like mine.. just 2 bolts the the chian tensioner and it comes out. you gotta pull the cam sprocket cover too like 6 small bolts have fun if you need pics on the chain tensioner and all that look at my site page 2

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can pin point what it sounds like, to get more suggestions.

it sounds like a pcv valve rattling. i have replaced it twice already and im going to replace it again with an dealer one.

say im at a stop, a start going and it starts to rattle a little, sounds like its from the engine passengers side (which is why i thought it was the pcv valve).

as it accelerates it will rattle a couple of times which a puff of smoke comes out. and then it will stop rattling engine contiunues to gain speed. this will happen whenever i accelerate but not all the time. 40 miles or slower.

might i add, when i followed directions to test the pcv valve, it said if you take off the oil filler lid and put a piece of paper, it should suck it up to the hole, the air coming from there is blowing in and out.

i also removed the hose from the pcv valve to the intake manifold and the engine stumbled and turned off.

i have 80,540k miles on the car. driven the first 60k by an old lady back and forth to work. i dont drive tooo hard. and no mods at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have a 05 frontier that I just baught. It has that clicking/pinging noise coming from under the truck and engine. The oil gauge does keep droping and rising back up what could this be the piston rings? It has a warranty on it for 3 months plz help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts