Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i have the weirdest problem with my 94 le 1.6. it does not start when i turn the key, but when I pop the clutch it starts the motor fine. the motor turns over. the engine is getting gas. spark works. and air filter is clean. it just for some reason does not want to fire with just the turning of the starter. i checked all the fuses in the dash and they were all intact. could it be a sensor of some type that has gone bad i just need an answer quick because i am tired of parking facing down hill to start the damn thing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Be glad you have a hill to start it on.

I've busted (and replaced) my second clutch cable in my 94 xe and now i can't get it to start. Sounds similar to your problem. Bump for help. Also, read somewhere about the cable being in a bind...
Also when is the last time you adjusted your clutch cable and how much adjustmet screw do you have left?

PS If any one has some IRL pics of how the clutch cable should be routed it would be greatly appriecated.

~~Edit~~
An online repair site i just hit up said if you have less than an inch of adjustment left it's time to consider a new clutch. XD i have about a quarter of an inch left. so I'll talk to my mechanic about a new clutch.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Does it crank fast or slow? Its possible that the starter is pulling too much juice and dropping the voltage to the pcm below its cut-off point.

·
Registered
66 Posts
get your battery checked first. It's possible a battery can have enough juice to keep a car running, but not enough to turn the starter over. If you got a voltmeter, check the bat voltage while cranking. If it goes below 9 or 10, the bat is bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does it crank fast or slow? Its possible that the starter is pulling too much juice and dropping the voltage to the pcm below its cut-off point.
mine won't crank at all, the throw out arm on the trans is moving but it's like the trans isn't dis-engaging to allow the engine to crank...

also, i have a yellow top Optimia battery that i bought less than a year ago...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd like to point out that just because you bought a battery recently, that doesnt mean that it isnt bad. Optima batteries actually had a pretty bad batch a while ago, they'd only last a few months or a year before dying.

Only way to be sure is to actually check the battery. Simpliest things first, then you move on from there...

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
I'd like to point out that just because you bought a battery recently, that doesnt mean that it isnt bad. Optima batteries actually had a pretty bad batch a while ago, they'd only last a few months or a year before dying.

Only way to be sure is to actually check the battery. Simpliest things first, then you move on from there...
yeah, and all you need is a radioshack voltmeter. they're like... $20? i had a battery that was so bad once, i could watch it go from fully charged to 11V in a minute, watching it drop on the volt meter.

you could also have connectors that need cleaning. check the voltage from terminal to terminal on the battery, and from the terminal to the cable connector.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
pull the battery and have a load test done. you can have 12 volts or even 14 volts, but when you put a load on it, it drops. it could be a bad cell inside.

Also, if that is not the case, then your solenoid on the starter may be bad if you get nothing. tap on it with a hammer. the manuals are just below the intake pipe. automatics are under. I know it sounds stupid, but in old cars, that always works!!!

Hell, it could be alot of things, it could be the contact points in your key switch.

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
48 Posts
I fully get that it could be any of about a million things, the problem is that you guys are overlooking the most obvious cause of transmission problems, this is a car that hasn't ever had problems cranking or starting before and as such we should probably start by trying to figure out why it WON'T EVEN CRANK
Also, i've tried using jumper cables to make sure the battery had enough juice.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
I fully get that it could be any of about a million things, the problem is that you guys are overlooking the most obvious cause of transmission problems, this is a car that hasn't ever had problems cranking or starting before and as such we should probably start by trying to figure out why it WON'T EVEN CRANK
Also, i've tried using jumper cables to make sure the battery had enough juice.
IT WON'T CRANK BECAUSE THERES NOT ENOUGH POWER GOING TO THE STARTER!!

Thats why everyone is suggesting ignition switch and battery issues....

if everything else works fine like the original poster said, but the starter can't turn over the engine, thats where the issue is...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts