Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
U13 BB Owner
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed a little leak on my valve cover gasket around 80,000 miles. So I went out and got a rubber valve cover gasket replacement from napa and did the change no problem (help from the fsm). After that I noticed a different sound coming from the engine. I dont think I heard before almost like the timing chain was hitting the cover....like a tapping noise but not a valve lifter noise...Maybe valve cover was tightened down too hard? I dont think that can happen...could be wrong. Maybe chain tensioner? Any help out there?
Thanks
 

·
wont go any faster?
Joined
·
475 Posts
200sx98fl said:
So I noticed a little leak on my valve cover gasket around 80,000 miles. So I went out and got a rubber valve cover gasket replacement from napa and did the change no problem (help from the fsm). After that I noticed a different sound coming from the engine. I dont think I heard before almost like the timing chain was hitting the cover....like a tapping noise but not a valve lifter noise...Maybe valve cover was tightened down too hard? I dont think that can happen...could be wrong. Maybe chain tensioner? Any help out there?
Thanks
my friend sounds like you gotta be like everyone else go to the dealer ship and pick you up a new timming chain tensioner they are bad about going out and the more you rev the louder it gets easy job to do just check your idler sprocket mine had some missing teeth check the chain make sure its good 2 screws to take it out you cant over tighten the valve cover and make it make weird noises
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Skoodles said:
my friend sounds like you gotta be like everyone else go to the dealer ship and pick you up a new timming chain tensioner they are bad about going out and the more you rev the louder it gets easy job to do just check your idler sprocket mine had some missing teeth check the chain make sure its good 2 screws to take it out you cant over tighten the valve cover and make it make weird noises
Dude, I'm trying to read what you wrote!?!? Use punctuation;)

Revised Version: My friend, it sounds like you gotta be like everyone else. Go to the dealership and pick you up a new timing chain tensioner. They are bad about going out, and the more you rev, the louder it gets. Easy job to do. Just check your idler sprocket. Mine had some missing teeth. Check the chain. Make sure it's good. 2 screws to take it out. You can't over tighten the valve cover and make it make weird noises.
 

·
U13 BB Owner
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RotaryRyan said:
Dude, I'm trying to read what you wrote!?!? Use punctuation;)

Revised Version: My friend, it sounds like you gotta be like everyone else. Go to the dealership and pick you up a new timing chain tensioner. They are bad about going out, and the more you rev, the louder it gets. Easy job to do. Just check your idler sprocket. Mine had some missing teeth. Check the chain. Make sure it's good. 2 screws to take it out. You can't over tighten the valve cover and make it make weird noises.
I think i have 2 chain tensioners that came with an oil seal pack? Fel-Pro gasket set TCS 45864 syays it comes with 1 -94409 Chain tensioner. Has 2 circles and one big circle in the middle of it with like a notch in it.? Thanks
 

·
U13 BB Owner
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
200sx98fl said:
I think i have 2 chain tensioners that came with an oil seal pack? Fel-Pro gasket set TCS 45864 syays it comes with 1 -94409 Chain tensioner. Has 2 circles and one big circle in the middle of it with like a notch in it.? Thanks
Nevermind that, its just the gasket for it.... Are nissan dealerships the only people who carry it?
 

·
wont go any faster?
Joined
·
475 Posts
200sx98fl said:
Nevermind that, its just the gasket for it.... Are nissan dealerships the only people who carry it?
yup, i looked at all the autopart stores for mine. worst came to worst i had to go to the dealer ship. its only like 50 bucks or so. first take your valve cover off the car. then check and see how loose your chain is. you would be able to touch it with your finger and it should move bit. thats if the chain tensioner is shot to shit. go to my car domain website below on page 2 i hae pictures of me doing it to my car. that should help out alot
 

·
U13 BB Owner
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skoodles said:
yup, i looked at all the autopart stores for mine. worst came to worst i had to go to the dealer ship. its only like 50 bucks or so. first take your valve cover off the car. then check and see how loose your chain is. you would be able to touch it with your finger and it should move bit. thats if the chain tensioner is shot to shit. go to my car domain website below on page 2 i hae pictures of me doing it to my car. that should help out alot
Thanks for the info man!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top