Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my muffler installed about a month ago and now the thing shakes and vibrates as soon as i start the engine. people say it could be the welding and some are saying its the bushings? im not sure because i dont know much about this kind of problem. it also spits out black dirt. this problem jus recently came up. as soon as the engine starts up. black dirt jus spits out along with smoke. A LOT of smoke. help me out.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I should know what the black smoke is, but to be honest I don't know. How many miles does your car have on it? If it has too many, then the catalytic converter (AKA Cat) may be breaking up in there. There are tiny little honeycomb looking things in the cat, kind of ilke in the airbox so resonate the sound and filter all the gases. That may be the dirt looking particles but no idea? The vibration noise, is it coming from the actual muffler? If it is check these:

Hanger bushings, hangers may not be welded onto the muffler correctly.

Welds from piping to actual muffler.

And if your hangers are loose or not even welded onto the muffler, see if your muffler touches your rear bumper. If it doesn't touch it, then there's a chance that it can bounce up and down and hit that lower bumper part and hit it. this probably didn't help but I gave it a chance! sorry!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Off topic - but what is the best sounding muffler with a 2.5" inlet for a cat-less B13?

I like the sound of the Stromung - deep and throaty. Any ideas?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
blue_sentra said:
i got my muffler installed about a month ago and now the thing shakes and vibrates as soon as i start the engine. people say it could be the welding and some are saying its the bushings? im not sure because i dont know much about this kind of problem. it also spits out black dirt. this problem jus recently came up. as soon as the engine starts up. black dirt jus spits out along with smoke. A LOT of smoke. help me out.

the smoke and black dirt is carbon build up from a car that is running too rich! belive me this is the case with my car!

·
Registered
547 Posts
if it's Carbon build up like landlord says it is, use Techron. You can get it at O Reilly's for I don't remember how much, but there's a certain way that it has to be applied to your intake man., but it works like a charm. It smokes white for a while, but it goes away. The carbon build up is released very quickly and good. This product really does work.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Sunny J Reg said:
Off topic - but what is the best sounding muffler with a 2.5" inlet for a cat-less B13?

I like the sound of the Stromung - deep and throaty. Any ideas?
[/QUOTE

Rosen Autosport now makes a great sounding cat-back for ****, will also bolt to test pipe if the flange is the same as the factory cat flange. makes 10WHP also. great mod and is ceramic coated so will last for years.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blue_sentra said:
Ya, i had that vibration problem on my muffler before too. it was because the guy that installed my muffler did a bad job installing th hangers on it, one of the hangers broke off, so i my muffler was hangin with on hanger, if one of ur hangers didnt break off, it can be that the hangers where installed to close together where they slwing around and vibrate, the black smoke and black dirt, i think it means, ur burning oil like fuck, and maybe blew a head gasket or one of ur piston rings or gone and shooting oil out of ur exhuast, u should get it looked at and maybe get ur engine and engine rebiult or replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts