Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I just got my hands on a 1990 Sentra with the 5 speed manual and about zero options. 200 bucks and it drives. Cant beat on that.

Well, I had a very dim charging light while just cruising down the highway with nothing on. But tonight, when i turned on the headlights, the charge light came on full and so did the brake light and some other light that looks like high beams, but isn't And the weirdest thing is that they all flash in unison while revving. Its like a god damn disco party on my dash.

Any ideas. I think its the alternator, but why would the brake light and the weirdo high beam light come on too?

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Haha that disco party sounds cool. Have you been having any problems with starting it up or the battery going dead? If you dont, you have a major short somewhere and its probably going to take a while to find it.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
not sure about the charge indicator, but the weirdo highbeam looking light lets you know that a bulb is burned out somewhere. check all of you lights, brake lights too. See if any out, replace them, and that should go away. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I had just gotten the car and didn't even look under the hood yet when I first posted.

Lets just say that the amount of corrosion on the battery (the whole thing) make it look like a furry puff ball. Got a new battery, battery cables, and battery hold down and all seems to be well. :thumbup:

Fun little car to scoot down the highway in. Kinda power deficiant, my other car is a worked out 1993 Chevy Lumina Z34, but for a A to B beater its great.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Glad things are workin for ya. If you have any other concerns, just give us a holler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do, Might stick around for abit. Seems like a relatively cool board.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sounds pretty much like what i had, one of my terminals was like yours i cleaned it up and all was well. The brake light begain to come on again later on as well as some other dash lights, this was very weird haha like you said. Later it turned out i was only running on abotu 20 of 60 amps in my alternator and replaced it. I almost broke down on a road trip but i turned off all my electrical stuff and managed to avoid breaking down. Came very close though. Id suggest gettin your alternator tested before you have the same fate as me. At 20 amps i was able to drive around without a problem becuase the electrical demand wasnt too much that it drained the battery, so the 20 amps could put a small charge back in. It was when i had the heat,my lights and sterio that the charge light would get brighter.

Hope that all makes sense

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Mine was getting brighter with the amount of load too. My alt is putting out max 36 amps. So yeah, kinda low, got a new alt and now I'm putting out 78 amps O_O. Thats kinda high. Meh, the more amps the better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nissan makes badass engines but suck at making doors and electrical stuff. When I turn on my hi beams everything starts going crazy, and on 3 of the 4 sentras weve ever had something goes wrong with the doors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dude, the passanger side door is gonna fall off of my car if I open it too many more times.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
the door pins and bushings on these cars are a chronic problem. A very cheap fix, need to get parts from the dealer. Will make your doors feel like new again. If you are going to keep the car for any period of time, it is worthwhile to fix. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Actually, Sentra 1 got by on a set of bushings pilfered from the jy. But for $14, the dealer or maybe even CSK or Azone could hook you up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts