Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time threader, long-time browser.

I finally got a 91 SE-R and I love it - except for the fact that my friend who sold it did not care for it much, so I'm footing the bill for a lot of work - but I don't like the way the back end seems to fly out, a little. I know that the baby is 2/3 heavier up front than the back.

Has anyone done anything significant or recommend anything that might help the weight distribution?

or

Do the shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, or such help to minimalize the effect that I'm talking about?

Right now, I'm trying to save money for paint job, rims, tint, intake, exhaust, and pulleys, so I'm trying to prioritize where my money is going first. Thanks!

C-mo

Z

·
0 Posts
The back end flies out? In stock form, the SE-R will understeer before the rear does anything. In fact most of the time you have to put a pretty hefty rear anti-sway bar on the rear before you can get it to swing out.

Of course if you get a full aftermarket suspension you'll be able to customize it however you like it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
There isn't a whole lot you can do. Relocating the battery to the trunk is all I can think of offhand.

You can also get a coilover suspension so you can put the car on scales and adjust the ride height, which affects the weight at each corner (easy to do if you have a buddy with Longacre scales or if there's a shop in your area specializing in racecar prep). You can't do much for the 60-40 weight distribution, but you can get the "cross weight" at 50% which will make the car a little more balanced.

For info on corner weighting see this article. It's from a Porsche site, but it's still some good basic info. There's also some info on alignments. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks a lot! Exactly what I was looking for. I've just never tried after market suspension parts, so I had no experience going into this. Much love.

Thanks

C-mo

·
Registered
126 Posts
People, do you actually READ what the thread initiator asked?????

Only Zak91SE-R seems to have done so. According to the original question, he claims to have an OVERsteering car. What you all suggest certainly balances somewhat the car but leads to a MORE oversteering car.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
hpro123 said:
People, do you actually READ what the thread initiator asked?????

Only Zak91SE-R seems to have done so. According to the original question, he claims to have an OVERsteering car. What you all suggest certainly balances somewhat the car but leads to a MORE oversteering car.
Oversteer is good in a FWD car. If a stock-supsension SE-R is getting too much oversteer it is being over-driven (dive in too fast in a corner, panic, lift, "Wheeeee!") or just not driven correctly or there is something seriously wrong with the rear suspension.

A car with coil-overs that has been properly corner-weighted will have better balance. The oversteer may still be there, but it will be easier to feel and therefore modulate and use to an advantage. More experience behind the wheel may lead a person to think that "too much" oversteer he was experiencing is in fact not enough. :)

See http://www.se-r.net/car_info/suspension_tuning.html for basic suspension info.

·
Registered
126 Posts
slowSER said:
Oversteer is good in a FWD car.
The racer in you spoke! :) Most of us would settle for neutral.

If a stock-supsension SE-R is getting too much oversteer it is being over-driven (dive in too fast in a corner, panic, lift, "Wheeeee!") or just not driven correctly or there is something seriously wrong with the rear suspension.
I wholeheartedly agree Pat. This was the point of my initial posting. There is obviously something wrong with the handling of the car (or the driving) and it is not going to be corrected by relocating the battery!

A car with coil-overs that has been properly corner-weighted will have better balance. The oversteer may still be there, but it will be easier to feel and therefore modulate and use to an advantage.
Again, no argument from me. However, note that the thread initiator is trying to prioritize dut to budget limitations so I suppose coilovers and corner weighting will probably be down on the list.

More experience behind the wheel may lead a person to think that "too much" oversteer he was experiencing is in fact not enough. :)
I bet!!! :D
Been there, did it too!

Again, and sorry if I offended you, judging from the initial posting in the thread, the car in question is (probably) wrongly set-up or has a defect somewhere OR (most probably) overdriven. I still believe that 80% of the answers did not address this issue at all.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
hpro123 said:
Again, no argument from me. However, note that the thread initiator is trying to prioritize dut to budget limitations so I suppose coilovers and corner weighting will probably be down on the list.
Then an alignment is a good start, especially for a once-neglected SE-R. It's possible that the toe settings in the rear are out of whack, like maybe 2" of toe out on each corner. :) Getting it aligned and having the rear toe set to zero would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Indeed, this would be my 1st step!

Especially considering that since he:

finally got a 91 SE-R and I love it - except for the fact that my friend who sold it did not care for it much...
For an 11-year old car this is most likely the cause of any instability or ubnormal behaviour. Plus (this is from my personal experience - and I even was the first and only owner of my car) a carefull ispection and replacement if necessary of all bushes on the suspension, ideally before the allignment.

Subjectively, the bush replacement and proper allignment on my car improved its behaviour more than the change from stock struts to Koni inserts did.

Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WORD! I think all of that does make sense. As I was replacing the rear rotors today, I noticed that the insides of the rear tires were more worn down. Also, when I at 55 - 80 mph, the car starts to vibrate - actually, pulsate, every second. So, one second of pulsing, and one sec of nothing. The steering wobbles, so I've had the tires roated once and balanced twice. It still persists. When I drive OVER 80mph, it was rock solid smooth till 110mph. Very strange. At 8o - 110, it was much more smoother ride. And I just noticed that the bushings are pretty worn and cracky, so I'll take a look into that also.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

Keep y'all informed.

Cmo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts