Nissan Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
wes said:
This is totally wrong. Stainless is a good material to use on a header which is why the HS Gen. 6 SR20 header is all stainless, it is also why the HS turbo manifolds are stainless. Problems arise when stainless is not welded with the correct rod...
ahh, ok, i just remember that idea from another post awile ago and it made sence to me so i stuck with it.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
1.6pete said:
ahh, ok, i just remember that idea from another post awile ago and it made sence to me so i stuck with it.
I called Hotshot about it when I got my header and the reason they cited for using mild steel over the stainless was because the stainless cooled faster and caused problems. I don't remember specifically what they were...

I also realize the SR20 headers are SS, which is why im curious now... I guess I'll fire off another email to Hotshot.....

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
stevja1 said:
I called Hotshot about it when I got my header and the reason they cited for using mild steel over the stainless was because the stainless cooled faster and caused problems. I don't remember specifically what they were...

I also realize the SR20 headers are SS, which is why im curious now... I guess I'll fire off another email to Hotshot.....
I don't understand the dilemma here? You heard wrong whatever it was. The proper grade stainless is a pefectly fine material for header and turbo manifold applications...

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
so far I didn't hear any good info... maybe cause there's nothing to expect from the WR header.... why is this thread still open it's useless don't ya think :)

·
Slashie
394 Posts
wes said:
I don't understand the dilemma here? You heard wrong whatever it was. The proper grade stainless is a pefectly fine material for header and turbo manifold applications...
I heard this from Hotshot. That's where I got my 'wrong info'. Wait a day or two, and I'll post what they send me in the email. There has to be a reason why they used mild steel over ss, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

As for the thread being useless, I think this info from Hotshot would help establish one of the reasons why WeaponR may have made a mistake when choosing SS over Mild Steel with powder coating. Hotshot does R&D on all of their stuff, and whatever the reason for the mild steel, I'm sure its a good one.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
stevja1 said:
I heard this from Hotshot. That's where I got my 'wrong info'. Wait a day or two, and I'll post what they send me in the email. There has to be a reason why they used mild steel over ss, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

As for the thread being useless, I think this info from Hotshot would help establish one of the reasons why WeaponR may have made a mistake when choosing SS over Mild Steel with powder coating. Hotshot does R&D on all of their stuff, and whatever the reason for the mild steel, I'm sure its a good one.
OK simple reasons
1) Mild steel is much cheaper
2) easier to cut and bend
3) easier to weld with cheaper welding rod

So they make more money off of each unit sold.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
IanH said:
OK simple reasons
1) Mild steel is much cheaper
2) easier to cut and bend
3) easier to weld with cheaper welding rod

So they make more money off of each unit sold.
Once again, why would they do that with the GA16 header, and ceramic coat it, and not the SR20.

There is something afoot. I will say that I am trying to recall a conversation I had that was nearly a year ago, but I specifically remember thinking it was odd that they chose mild steel over stainless, and asking about it, and getting some sort of answer in regards to cooling speeds of the two metals and the way ceramic coats keep the heat in better.

If it is so cheap, how the heck is WeaponR making money on materials by selling their header for houndreds less?

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Here is the gospel, according to hotshot.... Unfortunately, it doesn't mention what I heard before, so as far as you guys know, my claim is groundless, but this reply was usefull for other reasons... here it is:

Hello -
>
> Me again. We are having a discussion in the nissan forums regarding the
> materials used to build the GA16 Header. We don't understand fully why
> you use mild steel with the ceramic clear coat, but on the SR20 header,
> you use Stainless. I was hoping you could help us figure that out.
>
> http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?p=863546&posted=1#post863546
>
> Thanks!

The only SR20 header that uses stainless is the Gen 6, and since it was sold
as a race only header, we were able to price it accordingly. Please be aware
that the taiwan and overseas knock offs are NOT built out of the same
material, and although they are advertised and sold as "stainless" they use
a mystery alloy, and a VERY thin walled tube. As for their lifetime
warranty, it does not exist.

The mild steel used in the GA16 headers is very thick and does not crack.

Thanks

John
Hotshot

·
Registered
94 Posts
1CLNB14 said:
Sure the OBX might be bologna compared to the HS being filet mignon, but I doubt the WR is as bad as the OBX.
I would probably consider it like a cheap sirloin or something along that line :p

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
the main benefit to goin the hotshots is that it has been tested with much success, now we cant say the same for WR, but as a cheap alternative it may do good

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey all...phew, just read through this whole thing.

OK. So I've had this Weapon R header on my 1.6 Beater NX since late August...The only reason I got the WR over HS cuz the car was 100 bucks and is a beater.... I've have had no problems at all with this header...It's lasted through this whole winter so far...A winter full of redlining and beating...not one crack.... The EGR lined right up. (it came with its own egr tube) No problems with clearence ect. Hot Shot still owns..if I had a 2.0 there would be a HS header on the car, but its just a beater so I put a 175 dollar header on the car instead. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
ok. The real resion (or so i see) that hs is the best is becous every one recomends them. WR are new, right? The wr pr offic needs to come to places like this. Some one how has used both neads to put in the final straw. Nos some one hows seen both, used only hs or some one who is on a frist name basis witht the hs rep.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
zachmccool said:
ok. The real resion (or so i see) that hs is the best is becous every one recomends them. WR are new, right? The wr pr offic needs to come to places like this. Some one how has used both neads to put in the final straw. Nos some one hows seen both, used only hs or some one who is on a frist name basis witht the hs rep.
NO not correct.. I think?

Not to be rude, but is english your second language?... that's hard as hell to read.. maybe try proof reading before posting. There is also a SpellCheck available before posting.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
zachmccool said:
No not my second lang. I have a learning disability, Dislecsa. I think thats how its spelled.
Made perfect sense to me, but I was dyslexic when I was younger.... I didn't even notice.... weird. Mine was weird though, (at least from what I remember), for me, certain letters would look like others. They would flip around in my head too, it was really weird.

Anyway... I thought I remembered somebody earlier in the tread who had used both a WR and a HS. This thing has gotton so big that I'm too lazy to look though. I personally have tried a HS and PaceSetter. I'd prefer to stick with HotShot any day.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
zachmccool said:
No not my second lang. I have a learning disability, Dislecsa. I think thats how its spelled.
If your name is Zach and you have dyslexia, we have two things in common. Except my name is spelled Zac.

And Weapon R does recieve a bad rep...but their products are mediocre compared to HotShot, which makes products of exceptional quality.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts