Nissan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
unless there is a clearence or groupbuy, in the case of performance in cars, i can't think of one..

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
psuLemon said:
unless there is a clearence or groupbuy, in the case of performance in cars, i can't think of one..
true, but GB are always around, and there great :thumbup:

but also in general. if its cheap its not always terrible. i got a dell pent 3 for $40 lol and it does exactly what i need.........thats kinda a tangent, jst an example.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
yea, but that still like clearence cuz its like 6 years old... when i am talkin quality, im more referin to something new that will produce the most efficient results.... im not talkin bout a 5 year old item, cuz there are better products our there.. when you go cheap for cars and computers, you get cheap.. its simple..

·
Registered
94 Posts
i know its a cheaper item and i know it doesnt perform as well as the Hotshot but it is still better than the stock header and i think it would be great for a car on a budget who's just wanting a few more HP out of his car.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
and i understand that, i just dont like when people are like oh i have this WRice header and its just as good as the HS header, but it doesn't compare... thing that gets most of the experience people on the forum, is when people pass of shitty products for good ones, cuz they feel like the give gains

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Not everyone is trying to make their grocery getter B14 into a V8 killa' :D
Those 2,3,4 or even 5HP are not a big deal to everyone.
I understand the ethics of chooseing HS over WR, but in this day and age...I couldn't care less.
I don't really have any reason to be brand loyal to any company.
Now, maybe if they offered me a sponsorship :D
Sure, Hotshot was on board from the begining.
I think it was because they saw a place in the market that was not being given the attention they deserved.
I'm not sure what HS did to patent the design, or if the WR is a 100% direct copy, but I think that if it was "stolen" design then HS would have them in court or something.

Bottom line, competition in the market place is always a good thing.

I've yet to hear any really bad things about the WR header, other than it's from WR.

Is there any facts to back up the claim that the WR header "just doesn't compare" to the HS?
If it's within a few HP of the HS, I say it's well worth the $$$.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
I remember a problem;

because the header is 100% stainless and stainless dissapates heat at a high rate of speed it can crak on cool down. this happens mainly in the winter and for you it would be even worse (you live in cold ass central :thumbup: ) think of it like this, for those of you that have ever taken a ceramics class how long does it take to put your work in a kiln then take it back out? a few days right? because you put it in and heat it up, then you need to wait and heat cycle it so you dont get any strees cracks. one way to prevent this would be to wrap the WR in racing heat wrap. but it could still happen, and i think this is HS main reason for the coated mild steel.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
im not sayin its not worth it, cuz if you have a low budget, then you had to do what you can... i know people have no brand loyalty or anything like that.. i just keep hearing people say, buy the weapon R or the obx, its just as good as the hs for half the price.. and for soemone who has owned both, they are full of shit... i understand people will work with what they have and its cool.. and stealin a quote from mike young, dont go callin balogna a filet mignon

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
psuLemon said:
and stealin a quote from mike young, dont go callin balogna a filet mignon
i was looking for that quote...........that will go down in history. :thumbup:

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
I've yet to see anyone say that the WR or the OBX are just as good as the HS.
I've seen them refered to as a good option to a HS if you can't afford the HS, or don't mind the as of yet undertermined HP loss.

Sure the OBX might be bologna compared to the HS being filet mignon, but I doubt the WR is as bad as the OBX.

I'm just not going to be blindly brand loyal.
Is the HS better, sure.
Is it the only option, nope.
Without competition in the market there would be no growth.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
after reading all these posts im still confused about one thing. i dont care about HP gains much, but i do care about parts failing. is the weapon r's desighn prone to failure? like the materials composition and structure.

will the WR compare to the HS in terms of longevity or MTBF? (again ignore HP gains). im thinking that if the lowered cost is only at expense of HP then that's something im very willing to give up. but if its giving up real quality then im not willing to give it up.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Tavel said:
after reading all these posts im still confused about one thing. i dont care about HP gains much, but i do care about parts failing. is the weapon r's desighn prone to failure? like the materials composition and structure.

will the WR compare to the HS in terms of longevity or MTBF? (again ignore HP gains). im thinking that if the lowered cost is only at expense of HP then that's something im very willing to give up. but if its giving up real quality then im not willing to give it up.
refer to this

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
^the main problem is no one really knows how long the WR will last, but the material that is used is prone to crack with high temp...

clnb14- most people aren't directly sayin that the hs is crap, but everyones beef is its too expensive and its not worth it.. my beef back form a person that has one, is its worth it.. if you are a true motor person, you will spend lots of money to squeeze what you can out of your motor, no matter the price, not just a person that wants sounds and look... but you have to do whats in your budget..

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
alright then, i think ill stick with HS even though my checkbook would be very sad about it.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
wish headers didnt make engine sound like ASS! but if i can get my stubby little handes around a classic se-r in the coming months i will be getting a HS header belive you me! but then ill one hell of a res, i hate tinny sounds with the firey passion of 100000000 suns.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
there are a couple people on the forums sellin theres, a used one shoudl be pretty suffiecient if you have a low budget, but you have to do whats best for your money... we can't tell you if the WR will last or not cuz they are new...

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
1.6pete said:
I remember a problem;

because the header is 100% stainless and stainless dissapates heat at a high rate of speed it can crak on cool down. this happens mainly in the winter and for you it would be even worse (you live in cold ass central :thumbup: ) think of it like this, for those of you that have ever taken a ceramics class how long does it take to put your work in a kiln then take it back out? a few days right? because you put it in and heat it up, then you need to wait and heat cycle it so you dont get any strees cracks. one way to prevent this would be to wrap the WR in racing heat wrap. but it could still happen, and i think this is HS main reason for the coated mild steel.
I believe there are some expensive cars using SS headers and exhaust. SS exhausts are very common in Europe because of all the rust, almost all exhaust shops in England were selling SS replacements a long time ago.
My point is that SS is durable and about 90 to 95 % iron, the same as Mild steel. The material is not that much different. The chrome and other materials added to the Iron stop it from oxidising in a run away reaction ie rust, the oxidation self limits, hence the SS name.
Cracking is more likely to be a problem related to design and stress failures. if the design is such that stress is high on heat up or cool down the material will fatigue and crack.
I could not see 1.6pete's link or picture, please repost.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Now, I know that this might piss some people off....but,
If you are really into getting what you can out of the GA16DE, the Hotshot header is a waste of money...
Just throw that $450 into a fund and save up for the Hotshot turbo kit.
It's (boost) the only way to get any real power out of the GA16DE.

1.6pete, I still don't see any facts... :D

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
1.6pete said:
I remember a problem;

This is totally wrong. Stainless is a good material to use on a header which is why the HS Gen. 6 SR20 header is all stainless, it is also why the HS turbo manifolds are stainless. Problems arise when stainless is not welded with the correct rod...

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
1CLNB14 said:
Now, I know that this might piss some people off....but,
If you are really into getting what you can out of the GA16DE, the Hotshot header is a waste of money...
Just throw that $450 into a fund and save up for the Hotshot turbo kit.
It's (boost) the only way to get any real power out of the GA16DE.

1.6pete, I still don't see any facts... :D
:cheers: I totally agree!

61 - 80 of 97 Posts