Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys... i'm new in this automotive field... and would like to know if i can use the WD40 for IACV/throttle body cleaning instead of using the normal brake/carb cleaner...

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
nope. its a lubricant and although it may work as a solvent on some things, i wouldnt use it on a fuel/air component.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree. WD40 is an oil. You want something that will leave no residue. I personally like starter fluid since it has no carcenigens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It would probably work...it is a solvent, although it's a pretty poor one. It would just be really messy. The best thing to use is Brake Cleaner. Yes yes, i know it's called BRAKE cleaner, but trust me, professional mechanics use it to clean pretty much everything. It's a very strong solvent, and it evaporates completely, doesnt leave any residue behind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It would probably work...it is a solvent, although it's a pretty poor one. It would just be really messy. The best thing to use is Brake Cleaner. Yes yes, i know it's called BRAKE cleaner, but trust me, professional mechanics use it to clean pretty much everything. It's a very strong solvent, and it evaporates completely, doesnt leave any residue behind.
Brake Cleaner is a carcenigen. Use starter fluid. Both of them do the same thing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, its really the lesser of two evils, but I know many mechanics who do not use brake cleaner for that reason. Ether can not kill you, brake cleaner potentially can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts