Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble removing the water pump pulley on 88 Pathfinder 3.0L V6. Even with the 4 studs out the fan clutch seems to be welded to the pulley. Pulley has play but won't come loose and I see no other fasteners, what am I missing?

·
Registered
2004 Pathfinder platinum
3 Posts
Water pumps, have a dowel that sticks out from the bolting flange, if you have the new pump, take a look at the puppy flange and you can see it, fans regardless of vehicle, tend to stick on that pin, hope that helps

·
Registered
2004 Pathfinder platinum
3 Posts
Clearly my "smart" phone, is in the midst of a mutiny, and will be velocity tested if it continues this vernacular homicide. . . It's the pump pulley flange. . .
* No puppies were harmed in the making of this response

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I remove the water pump pulley from the water pump flange while pump is still mounted to engine? Fan clutch is still attached to pulley and the clutch plate seems to be welded to pulley, removing studs does nothing.

·
Registered
2004 Pathfinder platinum
3 Posts
Let me see if we are on the same page, you have removed the 4 bolts between the fan and engine, loosened and removed the drive belt, and fan won't budge. . . Here's where it gets technical, lightly tap on the pulley with a screwdriver handle, hammer handle. . . Any preferred weapon of choice. . . Even a small child if one is handy, point being, it's not your ex, so be gentle and giggle it a bit, compression and oxidation tends to make them stick. . . Be patient, tap and wiggle victory will be yours

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
Remove the four nuts with washers that attach the fan clutch to the water pump and remove. The pulley can then be removed from the pump by sliding it off the studs. Sometimes, the pulley will rust to the hub on the water pump flange, which makes is a little tough to remove. Sometimes you can use a small hammer on the face of the pulley to help break it loose. I've had some where I needed to take two pry bars and "carefully" work both side of the back of the pulley until it broke loose from the hub flange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts