Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since that was sort of old and this is really a new issue - new post!

As I posted previously, I am losing coolant and the truck is overheating. However, the process from filling radiator to overheating takes a few days. I dropped it off at my shop and was was hit with an almost $2,000 estimate. They said the water pump was dead, and it would also behoove me to go ahead and replace oil seals, belts and tensioners, thermostat and hoses, as well as some other non-related issues I was already aware of (wheel bearings, hi-beams, rear brakes). This is a good, reputable independent shop. They've done lots of other work on the truck for totally fair prices. But I've always been under the impression that if the water pump was dead, as in non-functioning, then no water was being pumped through the engine and thus constant overheating. Mine will run perfectly cool for several days before the needle jumps up. If I keep water in it, no problems. SO maybe it's not dead, but still pumping water WHILE leaking profusely?

So my first question is - could the water pump be the main issue and need replacing if the truck seems to run normally most of the time? If I keep water in it, then it'll be OK to drive for short trips (most of my driving is 10 miles or less). I have NO money for major repairs or a replacement vehicle. I also can't see spending that much to fix a $1,500 truck.

Second - how hard is a DIY replacement? Did a water pump once on my old Mazda B series and it wasn't too painful. Is it really a $1,200 job?

I have to leave town next week, but when I get back I'm at least going for a second opinion. Just need some feedback!

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a weep hole underneath the water pump.

Remove the front skid plate and confirm that there is a leak coming from there. Also if engine coolant is leaking on the crankshaft pulley, it is probably your water pump. A water pump is about $50 and since you are there, get the timing belt done (about $40). Some will also change the thermostat since it is easy to replace with the front cover off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Second - how hard is a DIY replacement? Did a water pump once on my old Mazda B series and it wasn't too painful. Is it really a $1,200 job?
Just sit down with a repair manual and get ready for good read. (You might want to mix yourself a drink first.) There's so much crap that has to be removed to change the water pump that you'll probably alternate between fits of laughter and weeping as you read.
:lame:

I replaced the water pump on a '94 Jeep Cherokee, and all that had to be removed to get to the pump was the clutch fan.

My water pump has been leaking for a while, and it ain't gonna fix itself, but I'm in the same financial situation as you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts