Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just joined the forum after searching everywhere for answers to sentra problems. I could've introduced myself at new members, but I thought id put it all together... Although not my car, I drive a 96 Sentra, not so thrilling which is why i don't even know the specific model, and I always pretend the auto is manual!

Anyways, I'm in the process of purchasing an 89 Sentra, mostly to work on as its cheap, but is a manual (hooray). I saw the vehicle, it's in good shape, but apparently the head gasket is blown, the engine is water logged, and the water pump probably needs to be replaced. I need to know how hard it is to unpiece the block and etc to replace gasket, and what I should use for least expense (I have searched the forum). Also, what does it mean if the lower coolant pipe is very soft when squeezed because there is obviously no water/coolent in it? Is there a leak if the radiotor accepts almost a gallon of water, but the pipe doesn't expand/harden? I tried to start the car just to see if it could turn over, and a few times it hesitated, souding as if it wanted to breathe, but never woke up. After removing the PVC pipe, everytime I cranked it, the engine would spit some water through this pipe, also looking under the valve cover through oil hole, I could see even though the bottom end was full of oil, the oil at the top was kind of a rusty color and sticking to stuff rather than flowing.

BTY this is a GA16I, i know nothing about compression but I assume if the engine spins freely than comp is fine. What I would idealy like to do cuz of lack of funds/tools is run something thru that eats up gumming and collects moisture, drain the entire engine, then do the least amount gasket work as possible - all the elaborate things can be done later when it actually runs...

I know this is alot at once, but I am hoping to learn as much as possible, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately an engine swap is not possible right now, but I'd be ecstatic to learn of my options.

Very much thanx in advancehttp://www.nissanforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=21#
Smilie

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
as long as all your valves are fine its very easy. bring to tdc on the compresion stroke Take the intake air box off, unbolt the intake manifold and shove it back a bit it wont move to much so dont jam it, take the dizzy off, unbolt the cam and rockers put them aside. unbolt the head in the correct pattern and its off except for one or 2 things i may have forgotton.... Things u might wanna replace while u are at it thermostat- five bucks and dont get the t-stat gasket cus your gonna get a full gasket set from your local pepp boys or auto zone which includes it and thats about a hundred bucks. Water pump for sure, all oil and coolant, and any busted hoses/belts...

and take a look at that timing chain if its ok leave it as long as u know what your lookin at they have a tendancy to break around 100K depending on the driver, the guides i think tend to go a little sooner causing the shrapnal to scatter all over the insides of the engine and causing the timeing to jump or worse maybe. this is a big part as u dont wanna fix it all then the timing blows up in your face the day after...

all in all if u dont need anything major like a radiator.. orr idk something else which u can probebly just get from the local pick and pull yard u should be fine and expect to pay arouuunnnddd 200 for gasket set and usual tune up stuff

dont need that many tools and the only special i had to go buy was a alan key socket for the head bolts which most nissans use

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
o i forgot and if it is infact a blown head gasket, and make sure to find where it blew out by lookin for burn marks u may wanna get it cut a little to level the head out cus its aluminum, thats why i didnt mention takin the exhaust manifold off cus i didnt need to do that, u will though, no sense in doing all that to have it not hold.. and around here its around $40 to get your head decked when its all good and done i bet u will be happy with the performance, i jsut gave my 89 a tune up, turns out the air filter wasnt ever changed since the car has been in my family which is like 5 years and i drove without the oil cap probebly around 10 times, the air filter was soaked with oil. the coil was leaking its chare and the fuel filter was the one from the factory, now my car takes off great with my sweet se-r rims for extra traction now i just need better stopping power

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much, that was a speedy reply and I didn't expect that!

I'm gonna have to take trips to the junk yard and all this is making me wonder if a GA16DE could go in the 89, but it's not because I don't doubt the work for the 89... (I'm sure the swap has been covered somewhere here) with the 96 sentra, I enjoy how that engine is fun with some tuning and has a nice 'popt-popt' angry sound despite goverened redline and lack of overall torque/power. However this engine in the 89 would buy me alot of life, little more power, and prolly better gas mileage - plus i see 96 sentras everywhere/200sx, and many in accidents (don't mean to take advantage of people's mistakes...)

Thanks again Slacky, and at this point I'm just blabering...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
thats ok i was blabbering like crazy cus i stayed up allll night hopped up on sugar. and yea a ga16de fits in easy the main PITA is u have to splice the whole wire harness up u can look that in the search too u might even find pics of a diagram but at full power the ga16i is pretty good so idk if u would wanna bother

1 - 5 of 5 Posts